How You Meet

Robin

You put in an order for your favorite coffee (if you don't like coffee then you got a tea or something) before waiting off to the side for them to make it. This was how you usually spent your Friday afternoons, studying at your usual table at Starbucks. When you got your cup you made your way to the booth which was right next to a window, perfect for a beautiful view of the city.

You sipped the hot beverage while unloading your bookbag onto the table, starting with your homework. After that, you dug around for a pencil, settling with an ink pen.

About half way through the homework a familiar voice made you groan. You looked towards the door to see Ex/N talking with some friends. You ducked down, hoping they wouldn't see you. Unfortunately, things just haven't been going your way today.

"Y/N? Is that you?" He said with a fake smile. You frowned at him.

"Yeah. It's me." He laughed, forcing his way into the booth next to you.

"Oh wow. You know, we should go out and get drinks sometime. For old times sake."

You shook your head. "No, I don't think that'd be a good idea."

He frowned before smiling again. "Well, then maybe dinner?" You shook you head and continued to work. "What's the matter? Afraid you'll fall in love with me again?" He said pridefully.

"Trust me. That's not it." You said without looking up from your paper.

He growled quietly before asking through clenched teeth, "then why not?"

You laughed sarcastically, turning to look at him. "Oh I don't know, maybe because you're a total dickwad? Now if you don't mind, this math homework is really hard and I can't focus with you here so could you please just leave me alone?"

He growled again before grabbing you roughly by the arm. "You listen to me, bitch. You aren't anything without me. I tried to be nice but you just wouldn't cooperate. So now I'm taking things into my own hands."

He dragged you up from your seat making you yell and thrash around, getting the attention of other customers.

"Hey!" You both turned to see a young man wearing a mask and cape. "I'm pretty sure she asked you to leave her alone." He spoke, stepping up to Ex/N.

He laughed before snarling at the man. "Why don't you go play dress up somewhere else and keep your nose out of our business."

He tried to turn around but the Mystery man grabbed his arm making Ex/N lose his grasp on you. You scurried out of the way as Ex/N turned to him violently.

"I said to leave us alone!" Ex/N growled while shoving him, who immediately retaliated, his fist connecting with Ex/N's nose, knocking him out cold.

You watched wide eyed as the man approached you. "Are you alright miss?" He asked while eying the bruise that was starting to form on your arm.

You nodded numbly as you processed what just happened. "Y-You saved me." You said while pressing one of your palms against your chest, as if it would calm your quickly beating heart.

He responded with a chuckle. "It's kinda my job."

You looked over his outfit as it all began to make sense. "You're a superhero?"

He shrugged one shoulder while answering. "You could say that."

You smiled kindly at him. "Thank you."

He laughed nervously while looking down. "I heard you were having trouble with your math homework." He said while pointing towards the papers that were spread out on your table. "I'm pretty good at math. I can help if you want?" He offered sheepishly.