Chapter Three:Invitation

Start from the beginning

"True,but a very basic answer. I have another duty as well. Long back healers were not as proficient as the ones we have today. The healers of the three kingdoms were not allowed share their knowledge with each other.People who could have otherwise been easily saved were left to die to pacify the egos of nobility. But they could not oppose them alone.D o you know what they did then?" she asked.

He shook his head feeling utterly bewildered.Why was she telling him all this?It was not like he was planning on becoming a Healer.He looked at his grandmother but she did not seem to have noticed him yet.

"They entered an alliance with three other organizations. This Alliance as it is commonly called now is bound by one collective goal.Saving and nurturing life. All life. They were strong enough to back the healers break tradition and establish a institution for learning the healing arts. They helped provid every major village,town and city with a healer. However the help was not granted free. All healers were charged with an important task. And that brings us to you."

"What do you mean?"Aran asked totally lost.

Her eyes were now back on him but now they held an intense look. A silvery voice answered from the door"The task was to find people with power."He turned to see the stranger who had been talking with his grandmother enter the hallway. She smirked as she continued" Magical power. You ,young Aran have been diagnosed with magic"

****
Silence hung in the hair as Aran let the meaning of the words sink in. He was shocked.Was this some kind of birthday prank? It had to be. .But he had never known Lola to have a sense of humor much less include strangers in her pranks.

The healer stood up and warmly introduced them.
"Kieren,meet Aran Kale. Aran this is Kieran Hedge,a Ranger from the Alliance."
Aran turned to Lola and managed to splutter " It's ridiculous. Let's say you are right. How did you find out?"
"Aran,be polite"his grandmother chided but he ignored her and asked"So how did you know?".
Lola glanced at the Ranger who nodded slightly. The healer lifted her hand containing the ring with a single green stone. She took his hand and gently placed it on it. He yelped and withdrew his hand from it as a mild shock raced down his arm.
"Why are you wearing such a horrible thing ?Throw it away,immediately"he said clutching his hand.
His grandmother moved closer and rubbed his arm to ease the pain.
Lola smiled."I appreciate your concern but it doesn't have the same effect on me. Whenever I am near someone with magical power,it starts mildly vibrating. I do not claim to know how it works .Kieran might be able to explain better.Kieran?"she said looking at her.

The woman simply shrugged and said" I too don't know much more,but we were told what would happen but as I discussing with Mrs.Meera,maybe when we leave -"
"What ? Leave?" He turned to his grandmother panicking, to see gave Kieran an angry glare.
Kieran looked uncomfortable now. His grandmother said mildly" Oh,Aran. I was going to tell you later but yes,you are going to have to go to with Kieran to Nordain."
Things were moving too fast for him. Nordain was months away. Only this morning he had been happily planning on starting a new life as per his dream and now this. It felt like some kind of cruel joke. He was ready to blew with all different emotions bubbling inside him.
"I need some time to think. Maybe next year"he said finally.
"No, you cannot dear,you see-"his grandmother began but he had had enough. "I AM NOT LEAVING"
"Manners,boy. You are embarassing yourself. Now stop acting like a baby and go pack. We will talk about this later."and she turned away.
With the kind recklessness found only in teenagers, brought out by his desperation he said the most hurtful thing he could think of.

"Maybe that is what this is all about" he whispered" Maybe you don't like me."
His grandmother's eyes flashed dangerously"Don't be a fool Aran. Go to your room."
But Aran had never been one to handle anger very well and he continued when he should have stopped."Maybe you are insecure now that you have found out I am the better craftsman."
"Aran,this is your last warning"she said in a quiet voice. The whole room had gone silent.
But he did not stop. Not hurtful enough."Maybe you regret the fact that I did not die that day with my parents.Maybe you want to get rid off me ,so that you could enjoy the money my parents left me. Maybe-" he never finished the sentence. Suddenly his cheaks were burning and he heard a ringing sound. His grandmother had slapped him.
Her eyes had teared up" How dare you cheapen my son's death like. I loved him more than you can ever know."she screeched and with that she stromed outside.

There was a silence as Aran felt ashamed of what he had done. All the anger had drained out of him now.
He saw Lola look at him disappointment written all over her face"That was unworthy of you,Aran. More than anyone you should know what she went through to raise you."she said softly.
"But she told me to leave..."Even to his own ears his argument sounded weak.
Lola's eyes filled with anger" Do you know why she wanted you gone? Remember how you came last month with a headache. It was not normal. It was caused by magic building up in your body. If you did not learn to control them ,you would be dead soon." She waited for him to say something but he could not bare to look at her.
She walked to the door and held it open " Let's go, Kieran. He needs time to think."
Kieran looked at him deeply ,her face unreadable and said "If you change your mind, I will be staying here in Boars back inn, till the dawn of the day after tomorrow."

And then they too left leaving Aran alone, soaking in misery as he looked at his grandmother's gift still clutched in his hand.

Please feel free to comment and vote.