Chapter Two

We peered through the dark curiously and glanced at each other. We knew if we made a sound, we would be busted, but then again if we didn’t talk to anyone, how would we get out? Amanda grabbed my elbow and slowly lead me towards the hallway. We slowly crossed the dark room when something hit my foot. I dropped, my arm flailing as I fell and slammed a symbol on the drumset. I heard Amanda shush me as I lay on the floor. Together we listened for any sounds of movement our way, but it was silent.

"Get up, quick!" Amanda whispered and I stood to my feet as soft mumbles started to get closer. Someone was coming down the hallway. Amanda and I ran across the room and ducked under a buffet table. Luckily it had cloth draped around the sides so we had something to cover us as the lights flicked on. I couldn’t help but lift up the cloth a bit and peek to see the blonde standing there.

"Find anything?" Calum asked as he walked through the doorway to join Luke. 

"Nope," he responded, his blue eyes searching the area thoroughly. As his eyes got closer to scanning the buffet table area, I dropped the drape quickly and held it still with the ends of my fingertips so he wouldn’t see it wiggling about. "I know I heard the symbol crash. Look, it fell off it’s post," he examined and I peeked again to see him picking up the bronze piece off the floor. I face palmed. So much for them just imagining it, now they had evidence.

"So someone’s actually in here, watching us," Calum said, glancing about nervously and once again I dropped the drape in case his eyes flickered over to me for even the slightest second. "This is really creepy. Let’s go get Frank," he suggested and I listened to their footsteps leave the room.

"Who’s Frank?" I whispered to Amanda, but she was just as confused as I was. Suddenly heavy footsteps echoed down the hall, followed by lighter ones.

"You’re sure it came from here?" a deep voice asked, and I was too afraid to peek. I knew that the large-sounding man was looking about the room.

"Positive, the symbol was even on the floor after we heard it get banged!"  Luke explained. 

"The park’s closed. The gates are locked and the premises have been thoroughly searched. There’s no one here," the deep voice responded.

"Could you just look?" I heard Calum plead and heard the large man sigh.

"Alright, if it makes you guys feel safe, then fine."

I glanced at Amanda. What if he found us? What if he thought we were two wacky girls trying to see the boys? Of course we weren’t, we just wanted to go home. But now we were in way too deep and couldn’t just back out, no matter how hard we tried. I watched through a whole in the fabric as what appeared to be Frank searched around the room while Calum and Luke watched.

When I figured Frank was big, it was an understatement. He was huge, not so much as chubby, but broad basically, with large forearms and a thick, muscly neck. His torso was a mixture of muscle and fat and he his head was shaved. He was truly menacing. He looked like a bald Johnny Bravo. 

I watched with horror as Frank got closer and closer. I backed away from the whole as he got in our section of the backstage area and held in a breath as he… 

Passed us.

He went right over the buffet table, even as much as a dead give away as it was. I watched him finish up past the table and return to the boys.

"That’s all there is. Nothing else is out of place. You probably heard the crash from when it fell in the first place," he explained. "Ashton already broke a drumstick from hitting it too hard, he probably knocked something on there out of place as well," Frank figured and the two younger boys glanced at each other before nodding and all three walked down the hall.

"That was too close," Amanda breathed out quietly. Neither of us moved for another 10 minutes after the lights went out.

"So… what are we gonna do?" I whispered to Amanda, turning to face her. "We can’t sit here for 12 hours until the gates open up again."

"12 hours? My legs cramped up after 5 minutes," she joked playfully. "Here’s the plan, we act like innocent damsel in distress’. If that doesn’t work… well…. it has to work," Amanda said, but I wasn’t convinced. Finally, I let out a sigh. 

"Alright, let’s get this over with," I said, slowly lifting up the cloth and sliding out, Amanda at my heels. We stretched our legs before silently making our way down the brightly lit hallway. It was shaped like a ‘T’ so we could go either left or right. After a silent argument, we decided right was best and peered into the first room. It was a medium sized room with a fridge, stove, microwave and other appliances.

The next door we froze in our tracks as we heard the clicking of video game controllers. We peered in and saw the four boys of 5SOS sitting on a couch, two playing FIFA while the others scrolled along on their phones. 

Amanda and I glanced at each other before Amanda gently knocked on the door to get their attention.