Stunning Journal

February 12

I need to unwind and talk about my night. Because it was, quite a night. Let's start with the simpler stuff. I need to get my mind off of freaking out for awhile.

Just like "Kevin" said, when I finally arrived home, he had the dinner table set and was cooking a delicious smelling turkey. You know what else was on the table?

Scrabble. And Pictionary.

As if this was a normal family game night.

We ate and had a conversation about why I was home late (I had to ask a teacher about homework. Yeah. I was getting good at lying.) Then I started interrogating him. You can't just walk into my life and have everything be absolutely normal.

"Why didn't you pay attention to me when I was younger? Why are you here now? Why didn't Mom tell me you were coming? Why isn't she here?" The questions went on and on. There were so many.

He tried to answer. "Your mother and I had problems when you were younger, but they're fixed now. I've- We've changed. Your mom wanted to surprise you. She thought you'd enjoy having me here. We can't exactly bond with her here. You know how controlling she is."

Then we just continued awkwardly eating the turkey, which by that time was pretty cold.

Also, I got a phone call after dinner.

From a guy.

I know, "Ooooh!"

But it wasn't like that.

Actually, he didn't give me his name.

The phone started ringing, so I answered it.

"Hello?" Complete silence.

"Hello? Anyone there?" I asked.

"Megan?" The guy sounded younger, but I couldn't place his voice. I glanced down at the caller ID. Restricted Caller.

"Yes?"

"Please be careful." He sounded exasperated. He couldn't catch his breath. His voice wavered.

"Who is this? Be careful of what?" My heart started to race.

"You know who. He'll hurt you. He'll try and succeed. Don't let him near you. Call your Mom. Call her. Tell her he hasn't changed." The voice was literally screaming at me.

"Who is this?" The voice hung up. And I was left alone in my room. With nothing but a dial tone and a journal.