When we arrived, I got out of the car and told her I would see her at lunch.

She was happy - that gave her an excuse to find out about Dani.

Huh, it was like they were more excited and nervous than I had been. Which is impossible. But then again, he didn't look at them curiously, like they were complete strangers.

Was I imagining his disdain?

Shaking off these thoughts, I climbed up the steps to my first class. Most of my proffesors were good, and the language didn't seem to be a barrier anymore. All of my classes were in English.

I licked my dry lips. For the thousandth time, I thought of how my parents had gone to a university so similar, with the same language and the same culture.

My mom hardly called anymore. She was busy with new relationships and her job. Dad was busy was well - Evie kept him on his toes - but he always found time for us.

My phone rung just as I found a seat in the lecture hall. It was mostly empty, since I was early.

"Hello?"

"Hey," came the greeting. "Miss me, sis?"

"Not as much as your ego would like." I chuckled. "What's up, Cayden?"

"So Mom invited me and Richard for a dinner together." She pretended to barf. "Two years with that guy and I thought I could handle him. But last week, he accused me of stealing his wallet!"

"Huh? You went to visit them?"

"No!" He exclaims. "He said I broke into his house and stole it. Which I totally would, but I didn't this time."

"Well, at least you're not in jail, right?"

I hear him snort through the phone. "He said I would end up penniless one day, what with my marks. I told him it would be a blessing, if people with money turn out like him."

I bite my lip to stop a laugh erupting. I could imagine it now. Richard, a bald guy who barely reached Cayden's shoulder, telling him he was worthless.

What did Mom see in him, anyways? The guy was a pig.

"He does know Mom pays the bills, right?"

"I'd like to kick that guy's ass one day. Or paint his car a horrific shade of pink. Huh, maybe that's what I'll do." Cayden chuckles to himself. "Cia, when are you coming back?"

"Why?" I ask. "Care to admit you finally miss me?"

"I always miss you." He groaned. "Christmas?"

I pull up a mental calender. Today was the fifth, which meant Christmas was in twenty days. I didn't plan on coming home this year.

"Maybe."

"Oh, yeah, I heard about Dani." He says as if remembering for the first time. "No pressure, okay? But try!"

"I will." I say. "Bye, Cayden, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye, sis."

I cut off the call and put my phone down. Times like these made me really homesick.

But the question is not whether I can go back home, if only for a few days. It was whether I want to.

|•|•|•|•

Around one, after classes, I get Catherine to drop me back home, even though I promised I would have lunch with her.

"Tomorrow, then." She sighs. "You're paying."