Chapter 5: Rose

"Oof!" I sprawled out on the stone of the Great Hall entrance.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" A voice said right next to me. "I'm such a klutz."

I froze. It was him. I looked up at Al and he flashed me his sarcastic 'have fun' grin, then entered the hall.

Thanks. Desert me in a time of need, why don't you. Family.

"Hi, Scorpius." I mumbled as I kneeled and grabbed some books.

"Nice to see you again, Rosie." He pulled out his wand and started siphoning ink off the ground and my parchment.

I blushed. Rosie? Did he seriously just call me Rosie? Only Grandad called me that. I was just Rose.

I crammed the last book into my bag and found Scorpius' hand extended. I took it (still blushing, of course; a thousand curses on my gingerness) and stood.

"Thanks."

"You wouldn't've fallen if it wasn't for me."

He still hadn't let go of my hand. Even worse, I hadn't let go of his hand.

It was nice. His hand felt completely natural in mine, like they were made to fit together.

"Either way." I smiled and pulled my hand away casually. "See you around?"

"See you around."

-------------------------------------

"Okay, Rose, spill. We saw you two holding hands. Plus Al said you were caught talking in Herbology." Lily leaned across the table when I sat down, eager for all the details.

"Did he now?" I sent a glare down the table to him. "Albus Severus Potter, I'll deal with you later."

He just shrugged innocently. "I, for one, would like to know what happened over there."

"I wouldn't mind hearing this myself." Hugo tried a 'my-sister-is-communicating-with-boys-I-must-protect-her' look.

"It was nothing." I glanced down the table. "Seriously. Pass the pumpkin juice."

"No." Kate Black wrapped an arm protectively around the jug. "Mine. Until you tell."

I pretended to be heartbroken over the loss of pumpkin juice.

"Please tell them." Piped a small voice. "I need the juice too."

"Fine." I pointed at Ashley. "But only for her."

I told them all the details, which took maybe ten seconds.

Kate handed Ashley the jug. She walked back to her friends, holding the jug triumphantly over her head.

Kate, Lily, Hugo, and even Al leaned even closer.

"Now tell us what REALLY happened." Al whispered.

"No." I blushed. "That's private."

Hugo-poor Hugo- leaned back, clearly unsure what my response meant. Lily and Kate squealed and then started whispering earnestly to each other. Al just have me a knowing, eyebrows-raised look.

Later, I mouthed to him.

He nodded ever so slightly and we bent over our lunch and didn't speak at all for the rest of break.