Chapter 14: Scorpius

I was skittish for no reason. I was terrified, and I didn't know why. I couldn't think straight, I could barely pull myself to the Great Hall. My body ached, my head was pounding, and the last thing I needed was concerned peers asking questions that I couldn't answer. But there would be even more suspicion of I didn't show at all.

"Scorp, ole boy! Where ya been?" Andrew whispered to me as I sat down.

You were napping, whispered a voice in my head. "Napping," I answered automatically.

"Really? Where? I didn't see you in our dor-"

"Does it MATTER?" I hissed angrily, sneering at him.

"Whoa, man, just a question. Sorry" He held his hands up in defense.

"You should be, idiot." I turned away, scowling. Two first-years were staring at me, horrified. "Get out of here, scum," I snarled. They scampered off.

McGonagall droned on and on about the history of the Triwizard Tournament. I was tempted to shout NO ONE CARES, but the voice warned me against blowing it. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was assured that I would know soon.

I was so wrapped up in it that I missed the lighting of the Goblet, but I was determined to get my name in there. Students were already in line to drop their slips in. I hastily jogged to the front, glancing around as I did so. I saw Rose Weasley smiling at me, like we were best friends and she was so proud of me. How strange. I recalled chatting with her for a bit on Herbology, but other than that we had kept our distance.

Wait- my head seared with pain- wind in red hair, the Coutyard, a bagel... I could almost smell flowers...- and then it was gone.

When my slip fell into the bright blue flame, there was a flicker of darkness, so slight that I almost missed it. My instincts screamed for me to snap out of it and run, but the voice soothed me. This was normal. I just hadn't seen it happen with the other papers.

The other students began filing out of the Hall. That Weasley girl came running up to me.

"Hey, Scorp, good luck! I hope you win. you'd be perfect!" She moved to grab my hand, but I yanked it back.

"Whatever." I stormed out of the Hall. She didn't follow, but when I turned to head down to the dungeons I could see the pain on her face, plainly there.

I could feel my mind raging; one half begged my body to run to her and sweep her off of her feet, the other convinced me that we didn't need her to win. We didn't need anyone to win.

Yes, little hero, soon. You and I, we shall merge on the Diei Sapientiarum. We will conquer this land. And that shall only be the beginning...