He slipped into his room, shutting the door.

"Well," Noah said.

Kitera's hands were at her hips. "I am not sharing my room with the likes of you."

"Oh come on, it won't be that bad."

"I don't want spiders in my bath water, thank you very much."

"No spiders, I promise. Maybe one. Waterspiders are so cute. They just want love, Kitera."

***

Later, alone in the separate room he'd requested, Noah had finished washing the grime off his skin and hair with the soap. He'd also taken the time to shave. Now he lingered in the copper tub a little longer, relaxing his sore muscles, watching the flames dancing in the hearth.

Do you feel anything?

~ No. I'm sorry. ~

Naive of him, he supposed. That would have been too easy.

How am I supposed to find this bloody thing?

~ Have a little faith, spider boy. ~

He smiled.

Can I see you?

~ Someone's coming. ~

There was a knock, and the door opened before Noah could answer.

Jaden came in holding a bundle of folded clothes. "I thought you might need something to wear."

"Starting to really hate your timing, man."

Jaden closed the door. "Why?"

Noah clicked his tongue. "Never mind. What's wrong with my clothes?"

"They're hardly a lord's clothes, are they? Now, how slow are you? Even Kitera's done getting dressed."

As Noah stepped out of the tub and started drying himself with a towel, Jaden explained that his grandfather had kept many clothes from the time he and his wife were younger.

Hair cleaned, detangled and tied, Jaden stood in fresh boots, black trousers and a green coat, embroidered silver leaves adorning the sleeves. Noah's outfit turned out to be the same as Jaden's, except his coat was blue with embroidered golden leaves.

"Your grandfather sure likes leaves," Noah said as he struggled into the trousers.

He caught Jaden staring – at all his black marks, most likely.

"Not pretty, I know," Noah shrugged on the coat.

"No, they're . . . they're not bad." Perhaps it was the heat of the fire, but Jaden's face looked flushed. Noah assumed he was just trying to be polite.

"Whatever you say."

Kitera stormed into the room then, saying, "Jaden, must I really wear this?"

The dress was lavender, cinched at the waist, flowing from hips to toes. The sleeves and the top of the corset were entirely made of lace, her breasts dangerously stretching the fabric.

"Can you breathe?" Jaden asked.

"Yes, but—"

"Then I believe we're ready."