Nothing More than a Bad Movie

Start from the beginning

"Because I was born in an Angolan prison." Hera dubbed over the villain in the movie, making Alex smile.

"Before escaping to Soviet Russia." He added.

"Where I was forced to eat my own hand to fend off starvation."

"And drink milk from a bowl on the floor...like a cat." Hera and Alex laughed together for the first time in years. After a few moments, Hera shot Alex a knowing smile.

"They all have sob stories." She said with a shake of her head.

"It's a twisted world." Alex added as Hera settled back into the sofa. A few moments of silence passed.

"So what's Daniel's story?" As Alex asked this, Hera rolled her eyes at him.

"Alex." She spoke his name quietly and leant her head back against the sofa, turning her gaze to him. He looked at her innocently, watching the gold light from the chandelier reflected in her eyes.

"What?"

"You really think I'd give anything away?"

"I know I'm stuck here. I know you're smart. You've been in this longer than I have; I know I can't win." Alex admitted. "I'm just asking." The girl took a deep breath as they looked at one another before Hera gave in:

"He's an orphan, British, father was a scientist, mother was a doctor, obsessed with blues music from the 30s, studied History of-"

"Jeez, you guys should get married. You're describing yourself." Alex scoffed

"By that logic you and I should get on like a house on fire." Hera retaliated before listing her and Alex's similarities. "Orphans, British, good looking, father working for the government, mother in medicine, terrible at school, good at espionage-"

"Murderers." With this single word, Alex bought the conversation to a standstill. The two went back to watching the movie in silence. Hera regretted her decision to turn to this channel; a spy movie was only reminiscent of all the things she and Alex used to encounter. After ten minutes of cold silence, the handsome actor suffered a hand injury and Hera suddenly remembered something. Once she had saved Alex from a maniacal doctor who took to breaking bones whenever someone irritated him. Alex, who was caught breaking into his home, had done just that and had to endure the doctor's torture for a brief moment until Hera found him. Remembering this, Hera turned to him.

"How's your...?" She moved the thumb of her left hand in front of Alex's face. The boy stared at her until he realised what she was asking.

"Oh, yeah," he held up his left hand and moved his thumb, "it still..." his thumb jumped into an upright position with a loud CLICK.

"It's been, what, four\five years?"

"Four. How's your shoulder?"

"It opened up again during the chase." Hera rubbed her shoulder gently, feeling the bandage beneath the wool of her jumper. Alex looked impressed for a moment.

"I missed a chase?" He asked as Hera nodded, wincing slightly as she patted her shoulder.

"Tom's Toyota versus a Range Rover and two Harleys." She answered. Upon hearing Tom's name, Alex's face darkened. He cleared his throat and tried, in his most carefree demeanour, to ask a question he was dreading the answer to.

"Did you sleep with Tom?" Hera turned to him slowly.

"Yes." They did not break eye contact.

"Why?"

"Why did you propose to Sabina?"

"Fuck...Hera," Alex closed his eyes and ran his hand through his hair, tugging at it slightly in exasperation. "I don't know." Hera sat forwards on the sofa and turned to him fully.