17 - Orchids and pain

"So you're saying that you can see him? Like, see him?" Sam paced around the patio with his hand rubbing against his chin. Even since he returned to the camp site, the story intrigued him yet didn't add up. Despite making sense of the situation, it didn't seem plausible. Michael and Lucifer were sat on the bench that was placed under the cabin window, Lucifer holding Michael's hand tightly out of fear and confusion. With fingers interlocked, Michael brushed his thumb gently across Lucifer's hand for comfort as words couldn't fall from his lips. "What does he look like? Because when I saw him-" before Sam could unleash his tangent, Lucifer had butted in.

"Can we please stop addressing my brother by a pronoun? He's not an object, he has a name. Gabriel was his name, so use it please," Lucifer spoke aloud with annoyance. Sam and Michael paused to look at Lucifer who had anger written on his face. "Not trying to be a bitch," he half-heartedly uttered when he felt the eyes of the others watching him. Michael sighed and regained eye contact with Sam, nodding in agreement to his previous question. He made a gesture. He lifted his hand to point at his eyes and nodded, then pointed at Sam's eyes and shook his head; as to say he can see what Sam could not. Sam looked down at the wooden floor below him, trying to gain his thoughts together and piece the story up.

Without hesitation, Sam goes into the cabin without asking either of the boys. As soon as he took his first step back into the cabin, he felt heavy. All the emotions, good and bad memories returned and least of all, the source of the nightmares. "You say I can't see him, then I'll lure him to me and you'll give me the thumbs up," he shouted out to Michael, who looked at him like he was a madman. Sam wandered the ground floor, using bribery to try lure out this mystery spirit. From "I'll give you candy," to even "I'll help you find happiness,", nothing had seemed to work. Sam checked every room, every corner and every hidden spot possible. Yet, nothing was happening. He sighed, meeting Michael in the porch area, speaking softly. "How did you manage to see him?". He grabbed the same notebook that Lucifer gave to him and wrote out what he could remember:

"All I remember was Lucifer hitting me across the face and then I was able to see. I don't remember anything that happened before then, I honestly only remember my encounter with Lucifer a couple days ago, everything else is a blur,"

Sam hummed to himself. "Some crazy shit is going down, like nothing is making sense," he said to Michael, who only shrugged. Sam had noticed that Michael's eyes widen slightly, frozen in place; as if he was being told to not move. Sam furrowed his brows and looked around, confused even more. "Michael?" He asked softly to gain his attention back. "Is Gabriel around?". It was a question that Sam struggled to utter, but got the response he wanted. Michael slightly nodded, and began to write. Whilst writing frantically, Sam turned around to face the direction Michael was looking into. He clasped his hands together and held them in front of his chest, speaking aloud yet softly. "Why won't you show yourself to me? I can't help you if you don't help me Gabe. We were a team, remember? We can do this together if you please," he paused, lowering his eye line to the floor. "Please, help us help you."

Michael grabbed onto Sam's shoulder and cake to face him. With a shaken hand, he presented the note to Sam, who glanced at it briefly before leaving the cabin, and into the woods.

***

He laid there absentmindedly, his fingers fumbling with the end of his shirt. He hasn't seen his brother or his lover for a while now. However, Castiel had grown to dislike company, he didn't feel like it was necessary to learn to love people when he knows they'll abandon him again and again. After all, that's how Dean treated him. Leading him into a falsehood to then abandon his broken soul and leave it within the darkness. After several pleas to reach out to him, he gave up. It was clear that there was nothing Dean wanted from the budding friendship, he simply used him as a distraction to life.