12 - The road to help

"Sam?" Dean knocked lightly on his door, trying to keep his voice quiet. He could only hear light sobs that were muffled through the door. Dean let out a sadden sigh once no audibly vocal response came through. Sam hasn't left his room in weeks, yet dean understands that he will not be able to fathom the trauma Sam must be going through. He watched his only friend die in his arms, yet there was no explanation as to what happened. Despite it was a blur to all the other boys at this point and the details hazy, Sam relives every moment of what happened that night. Sometimes he would wake up screaming, or clutching his pillow, or even repeatedly calling out the deceased boy's name. It was paining Dean as much as it was for the Novak family. The Novak's felt empty without Gabriel, he was the bond that kept all the family together; since he's been gone there has been arguments day in and out between the boys and their father. Michael rarely visited anymore, after Lucifer began to let his anger out on Michael and accusing him of the death of his brother.

No one knew, who to blame.

For the camp, it got closed down for a forensic search, trying to piece together what happened on that unfortunate night. However, the results came back limited and obscure. Only Lucifer was able to read the report and it was his choice to decide whether or not he shared the results. All the boys remain hanging on a thread, no idea of what happened.

That night, Sam remained in his room, rocking back and forth on the end of his bed as he stared out into nothing. He was terrified to sleep, his eyes were bloodshot red from the lack of sleep he was getting. He became weaker over the course of the weeks; not eating properly, erratic sleep pattern, psychologically harming himself. Sam was at a loss, and he didn't know what to do. How could he simply sleep peacefully when Gabriel was dead? If only I was faster, he thought. If it was me, he thought. All these thoughts rushing through his mind on a continuous race track, never stopping. However, as the night fell, Sam was forced to sleep; and so unlocked the demons within.

***

He lifted his head up, as the world around him began to piece together. It was raining heavily, Sam was walking around the lake he once adored and shared beautiful memories with. He strolled up to the dock and sat down, looking down into the water. He could barely see his reflection in the murky water as the rain rippled off the surface, distorting the reflection. He felt like he was being watched, and his prediction made him more paranoid as the trees never seemed to have an ending to them. It was complete darkness around him. His eyes could barely adjust to the darkness, the only light given off was by the moon high up in the sky. He skimmed his surroundings, trying to ease himself. To his disbelief, Sam heard a faint whisper through the trees, snapping his head around to stare out into the endless darkness. It was heard a few times, each time more audible.

"Sam," it whispered, emphasising the vowel in his name.

He quickly scrambled to his feet and followed the voice, he pushed through the trees and underbrush to be stopped in his tracks. He couldn't tell if this was a good or bad idea of his, but he knew he couldn't sit at the dock to wait out the night. He followed the sound for what felt like centuries to him; through the most difficult paths to follow, almost losing the sound at times. But soon enough, he was at the final destination. What stood before him was the same creature that terrified him in every nightmare that came each night to haunt him.

It was blacker than black. It's limbs were elongated and abnormally thin. It had fingers that resembled claws, a gradient of red into black. It was like a shadow, except for its piercing gold eyes. These huge hallow eyes that was only the colour of yellow, no pupil or anything humane. It let out a snarl like laugh, erratically making its way towards Sam.

Sam turned on his heel and ran as fast as he could, but it could run faster. With sharp turns and leaps over the fallen trees, Sam managed to cover more ground, but he knew his agility wouldn't outmatch the enemy. He glanced back a few times, but couldn't see anything within the darkness. He breathed heavily and caught himself on the underbrush, trying so desperately to escape his own nightmare. He struggled and squirmed like his life depended on it, forcing his leg out from the trap to continue as far as his legs could take him. He travelled far across the wood, running towards an opening through the trees and into a wide opening. Being out in the open was stupid to him, but it was better than being in a closed area; at least he would be able to see the opponent. But not all openings lead to the best findings. He came a halt once again when he saw the body of his friend, slumped on the floor and as cold as winter. He slowly ambled towards the figure, falling to his knees to have a closer inspection. He couldn't deny who that was, the same faceless expression imprinted on his mind. He had to keep moving, thus brushing his hand carefully upon the arm of the deceased and got up steadily. He turned and it was standing there, hunched over and slowly coming towards him. His legs were shaking from the adrenaline, and he knew he wouldn't have enough strength to keep running. He stood his ground, gripping onto the little confidence he had left within him. It's what Gabriel would of wanted; for Sam to have insane courage to fight for what was right, and even though Gabriel was no longer around to remind Sam, he kept it close to his heart. The creature made blood-curdling noises, jumping from side to side from excitement. It would occasionally sharpen it's claws upon the concrete, trying everything to intimidate Sam.

"Be brave, stand strong," is all that ran through Sam's mind. He would whisper it to himself, but as the figure approached him he began to shout it. The creature showed no sign of stopping, picking up speed.

A flash of golden white appeared in front of Sam's eyes, banishing all the darkness. He fell to the floor, exhausted and barely able to remain conscious.

"Your time hasn't arrive yet, Samuel. There is still more you need to discover."

***

"How is he doing doc?"
"Better. He seems to be recovering very well, soon enough he should be awake and off life support."
"And the night terrors?"
"They haven't gotten any better unfortunately, but that is something he will have to fight on his own. The only thing we could hope for now is that he wakes up on his own. We can't imagine the world he is in right now."
"Indeed, may I see his record?"
"Of course, it's on the end of the bed, come to reception if you require anything else."

—————————————

NAME :Winchester, Samuel
DOB [MM/DD/YY] : 05/02/83
SEX : Male
STATE : Kansas

HISTORY OF PATIENT : Found within his living space unconscious. Has no past of seizures. Glucose levels were dangerously low. Blood sugar levels were dangerously low. It was thought that the patient's brain was starved of sleep, food and water. Patient suffers from chronic insomnia. May show signs of psychological stress from a traumatic experience. Patient arrived unconscious.

CURRENT STATE : Within a comatose state, remained on life support for several weeks.

MEDICATION : N/A

SUGGESTIONS : To avoid the traumatic experience at all cost. To avoid triggers, listed as:
- Gabriel
- Camp
- "What happened that night?"

A/N

I'm so sorry this is really late, I'm such a bad person for making you guys wait this long >~< what do you think? I'm busy this summer because I have auditions and enrolment for colleges so updating is becoming tricky. However, good news! I'm making a brand new Sabriel AU story called "In the Madhouse" and it's inspired by a role play I did with a friend for a few years. I won't give too much away, but it does tackle quite sensitive topics. Stay tuned!