16 - Straying

"Sam you need to eat-" Dean tried to push the plate closer to Sam's bed but was quickly greeted with a grunt of annoyance. Sam had been ignoring all of Dean's efforts to help him get better, he didn't understand what Sam truly wanted. Nor did Dean approve.

"Dean I'm wasting time!" His chest began to raise and fall quicker. "I need to find him, Gabriel, I must find out what happened and how I can save him," despite his greatest efforts to move, Dean held his chest down to the hospital bed, going against Sam's efforts to move. The two fought against each other for a small amount of time until Sam had ran out of energy, falling back into his hospital bed before Dean removed his hands.

They both made brief eye contact before Dean had spoken. "Stop. Sam you need to stop. Stop thinking you're on this life-changing adventure for Gabriel. He's dead, accept that he's gone so we can move on! I never wanna hear you mention that name, or the Novak's, do you understand me?"

Silence fell. The small murmurs had came from outside the room, as the world carried on. Sam furrowed his brows, disgusted in his own blood brother. A brother, who doesn't trust in him. Sam knew Dean was broken, but his mind and heart had shattered more after the accident. Hearing the Novak's brought Dean more pain than imaginable, but concealing it was the only solution to helping Sam move on as well. But Sam wasn't strong like Dean, Sam cared for others more than himself and was determined to help find the truth. He wasn't insane, but he was crazy to know the truth. Sam looked away from Dean, refusing to acknowledge is presence in the room. He painfully turned into his side and closed his dulled eyes, allowing darkness to fall over him. Dean sighed and got up, leaving the room with a slam of the door.

He was more upset than annoyed at Sam, he just wanted what was best for him. He's seen his little brother go through so many friends, having to leave them all behind without sparing a tear for them. But Gabriel was clearly different, he was so engrossed with this boy that it was causing him to forget about daily necessities. He found it strange; a rebellious boy was toying with his brother's feelings even after he's long dead. He paced up and down the halls, thinking about everything and anything. He glanced at the people around the hospital but they looked fake and cynical. They weren't people who knew what it's like to go through all of this drama, they complain about little things in life rather than savouring life. Dean pushes through all the harrowing thoughts and returned to the hospital room to be greeted with an empty bed and an open window.

***

"Michael are you sure you don't wanna come home for a little while? You can't stay here any longer or else you'll go insane," Lucifer followed Michael around the cabin, trying to keep up with his fast pace. "We can go back to mine, bash our heads together and come up with a solution to all of this," then Michael had stopped, causing Lucifer to walk into his back. He took a few steps back, keeping his hands in his pockets. He watched Michael, yet he didn't move, all he saw was him looking over the first floor banister onto the fireplace.

"What happened to this place?," he whispered quietly. "This place used to be filled with joy and happiness, with the kids running around aimlessly and playing games. We used to sit round the fire on cold nights during the winter and tell stories old and new. We would make hot cups of chocolate and marshmallows and the kids would fight about who'd get to have the whipped cream can," he laughed softly to himself, feeling Lucifer's arms wrap around his waist and his chin placed in the crook of his neck. "It felt like yesterday we were all like that..."

"But," uttered from Lucifer's lips. "Good things must come to an end eventually. It was inevitable that all of us would go our separate ways, some left quicker than others." Silence fell between the two, allowing the moment to engulf them both in deafening silence. "Do you think he's happy?" Lucifer quietly muttered, hesitant to speak.

Michael glanced around the cabin. He took in all the memories, allowing the moment to sink in. "No," he broke, feeling Lucifer's arms fall from around his waist. He turned around to meet his eyes. "He isn't happy, this isn't what he wants. He wouldn't be playing with our minds if he was happy," he looked up to the wooden beams that supported the roof of the cabin. "He used to hide from us remember? He can get into any place,"

"Michael..." he spoke softly and slowly.

"His soul isn't resting, nor has Father accepted him home," Lucifer's eyes widen the slightest, not to cause alarm. Before he could move away, Michael grabbed him tightly by the wrist and pulled his face closer to his. His eyes glimmered between blue and gold. "Leaving so soon baby Luci," he resisted against Lucifer's struggles.

"Michael you're hurting my wrist," he gritted his teeth, continuing to struggle. He managed to get one arm free and whipped his hand hard against Michael's face, both falling to the floor. Lucifer scrambled up to his feet and stood away, keeping a distance. "What is wrong with you?" He spoke loudly, and allowed Michael to look up to him. Blood trickled onto the floor from his nose, as Michael made eye contact with him. He looked lost, confused and dazed. Lucifer kept his stern look on his face as Michael looked at his with lost eyes.

Michael tried to stand before his balance was lost, stumbling onto the floor again, resting his back against the banister. He tried to speak, but words weren't coming out, only small, pained sounds. He placed his hand on his throat, finally acknowledging that he cannot speak. Lucifer tilted his head, allowing his breath to come back to normal pace. He lowers himself to Michael and furrowed his brows, not understanding what is wrong. Michael continued to speak but nothing was coming out from his mouth, just pained sounds.

"Have you lost your voice?" Lucifer asked, to which Michael stopped and tried to understand. He shrugged his shoulders, but nodding his head. "What happened to you with grabbing wrists and speaking some bullshit?" Lucifer asked, but only received a confused look from Michael. He didn't know what Lucifer was talking about. "Right. Stay here and don't move, I'll get some water for you," Lucifer went down the cabin stairs and into the kitchen.

Michael laid there on the floor, looking around the cabin as if it was new. He barely had any strength to stand or sit on his own, feeling his body grow heavy. Lucifer later returned with the water, helping Michael drink it. He noticed that Michael's eyes were widen and looking around the cabin erratically. "What can you see? Is it something I can't see?" Lucifer asked softly, holding his hand. Michael quickly nodded, trying to bring Lucifer closer to him. Lucifer sat next to him, pulling out his notebook and a blunt pencil. "Can you draw it for me?"

Michael took the notebook and began to draw what he can see. Lucifer looked around whilst he waited, seeing nothing out the ordinary. He glanced over to see that Michael had drawn the wooden beams inside the cabin, with a dark figure peering over. Michael put down the pencil and pointed up to the central beam, but Lucifer saw nothing. "Michael I don't understand,", but neither did Michael understand. Both the boys sat there in confusion.

Lucifer's phone began to buzz in his back pocket. He fumbled to get to it and saw that it had no Caller ID. He was hesitant to answer. "Who is this?" He questioned, and a familiar voice followed. "How far?" He responded to the caller, Michael watching him. "Seven days sounds generous. It's only me and Michael, but there's something wrong with Michael," Lucifer continued to speak to the mystery caller as Michael sat there with fear running through his blood.