13 - Knock

Castiel fumbled with the buttons of his phone, waiting anxiously for a response of some sort. He would turn the screen on to see nothing but a cute background of him and Dean from the campsite, a memory burnt into his mind. He wiggled his toes whilst he laid in bed, a blank expression on his face. He had messaged Dean repeatedly to know if Sam was doing okay; but he never got a response. It's been a few weeks, and contact between them had quickly ended, left in the wind. Castiel never really got to see Dean after the incident, both families went their separate ways but shared the same deafening silence within the car journeys home. The Winchester's were the first to leave in fact, they got up and left like they've done it before. However, it was understandable for why the Novak family stayed around longer, they couldn't just leave without answers and a full investigation.

"Castiel," Lucifer spoke gently, graciously knocking on his door, hoping for acceptance to enter. He received no answer, following with an empty sigh from his lips. He turned his back to the cold door, and slowly slid down the the floor with his knees tucked into his chest. "We can't just sit here and not do anything Castiel, this isn't," he paused, unable to say the name that was on the tip of his tongue purely to save himself from the emotion. "This isn't what we should be doing with our time. There is no point on waiting on the Winchesters' for an answer, they simply show no interest in us anymore,"

"You don't know that Lucifer," Castiel broke from his silence, the response cold and hostile. "Dean will tell me, he just needs time... that's all," even Castiel wasn't so convinced by his own words. He put so much trust and faith into Dean and yet he received nothing in return. They grew so close over the few weeks they knew each other, and they grew apart to become strangers again. Castiel wasn't going to admit that he had felt something special for the boy, but he knew he was connected to him in a way that wasn't explainable. Whenever Dean walked into the room it would just light up (because he hated it when Castiel would just sit in the dark) and his smile was the only thing that could soothe any of his troubles. But that boy only brought troubles rather than solutions. He eyes fell upon the blank phone, leaving a simple message:
Castiel : Dean, answer me please.

"Just pick up the phone Dean, please,"

***

A few weeks had past, and the Novak's heard nothing from the Winchester's. Not a phone call, not a message, not a single thing came from their contacts. Some of the Novak's learnt to give up on getting into contact, others didn't. Lucifer gave up after a few days, he wasn't going to waste his time on waiting for a bunch of people that couldn't empathise with their loss; Castiel held on with hope that one day he'll receive something from Dean. Gabriel's room had been locked up for weeks, not a single soul was to enter that room as Lucifer wanted to keep it exactly how it was left, since it was the only thing that family had left of their little brother. The hallway didn't feel the same when it came to Gabe's door, it just seemed darker and lifeless. Dust began to accumulate on the brass handle, the paint job on the door because to seem more dull and aged, even the aroma around the door didn't smell the same; it used to smell of sweets and candy, but now just dust and an old smell. Lucifer would always lay a golden orchid down in front of the door when the previous showed signs of death. But despite laying flowers to remember his annoying little brother, nothing will cure his heartache.

Lucifer had the room next door to Gabriel's. The connecting wall had Luci's bed next to it, and the wall was a thin as paper. Every night he would lay in bed having to listen to Gabriel singing half-decently with earphones on, jumping around his room and on his bed. He would always tap on the wall five times to tell his little brother to shut up or he'll send him to hell. And when a silence broke, Gabriel would always tap back three times, to simply say "I love you,". Lucifer did miss it, it was the only way he could show his love and affection to his brother. Ever since his death, he always taps three times on the wall before sleeping, most nights with a tear in his eye.

"Castiel," Lucifer knocked on his door on the other side of the house. "Keep the noise down now alright? We have a busy day ahead of us tomorrow," he didn't get a response from his brother, but he didn't expect one anyway. His hand slid down the door and into his pocket, with a fresh orchid waiting. His head hung low as he walked down the hallway towards his own room, having to pass his little brother's room first. Something felt strange to Lucifer. The hallway seemed darker than usually, and the door to Gabriel's room seemed more eery and fear-provoking. He went to pick up the old orchid to find his fingertips brushing again the rough carpet, there was no flower to be found.

"For fucksake," He mumbled under his breath. He assumed Castiel might of taken the orchid from the door as he had done it once before. However, the assumption got quickly debunked when he glanced down towards his own room, to see the orchid in front of his door. A shiver was sent down his spine as he stood dead in his tracks. It was not physically possible for the orchid to move on it's own; nor could it have been blown by wind as flowers don't glide like that.

He shuffled his feet slowly towards the suspicious flower, being extremely alert of his surroundings. His bedroom was close, and so was Gabriel's, so how could the flower move? He shakily picked up the flower and took it into his room, locking the door behind him. He held both orchids in his hand as he stood against the door, in absolute fear and dread. He couldn't think of any logical reason for the movement, nothing at all. It couldn't of been Castiel, he never left his room. Michael hasn't been seen for days. The Winchester's are off the radar. Gabriel is dead.

There were three, faint taps against the wall.