Chapter 4 Lost & Found

Chapter 4

John kept one arm around his sobbing wife and the other around his phone as he continued to make calls. Mary, as strong of a woman as she was, had been completely shattered in a matter of minutes. She knew John felt the exact same way, except he was attempting to keep it together just long enough to start the search party. They both sat on the floor in the exact position they fell to when they found the yellow sticky note that said "GET SHERLOCK" with a smiley in the "O."

Sherlock stormed in, breathing heavily, and went straight into Billie's nursery.

"It's no use, Sherlock," John hoarsely choked as he swallowed a sob. "He left without a trace."

"Oh, I wouldn't say that." They couldn't see him, but could tell that he was moving around the room quickly.

"Well, he did leave this," John said as he lifted up the note.

Sherlock poked his head out of the door and read the sticky note from across the room. He rolled his eyes. Of course he left the "Get Sherlock" message.

"Have you phoned Lestrade?" he questioned, walking towards the frightened parents.

"Of course we have -- we've phoned everyone," John's shaky voice replied. "We called the police, Greg, relatives, friends, the papers, the news..." He looked down at Mary. She only gasped and sobbed in reply.

Sherlock looked at the clock directly behind John and Mary on the wall. "It's been nearly seven minutes. Have the police arri--"

Three hurried knocks on the door interrupted him, to everyone's relief. Sherlock opened the door immediately and in walked Lestrade, Anderson, and Donovan.

"I came as fast as I could," Greg Lestrade was the one out of breath this time.

John and Mary stood up to greet the familiar faces. Mary finally spoke up. "Thank you for coming," she nodded, tears still streaming down her face.

"Of course." Lestrade nodded in response, then turned his head. Anderson took the hint and made his way into the nursery with a small case of forensic equipment.

"I see you got your job back," John forced a smile as he stood in the doorway, watching Anderson carefully collect samples.

"Yeah, it's good to be back," he responded cheerfully.

There was a faint knock on the door downstairs, so soft that only Sherlock heard it. While everyone else was talking -- Donovan and Lestrade gently questioning Mary, John trying to make conversation with Anderson -- Sherlock slowly walked downstairs to answer the door.

The flat was laid out almost exactly like the one John and Sherlock had shared on Baker Street, including the staircase right by the door. He paused by the large black door and stared at it, a chill running up his spine. He put his hand to the doorknob and pulled.

There, standing in front of him, was a mess of dark -- almost black -- hair, pulled loosely to the side, and a pair of big, green eyes. She was wearing an emerald colored button-up shirt and a green and brown wool pencil skirt with brown heels. She was the picture of unassuming class and beauty. No one would have thought that less than 48 hours ago she was battling five burly men right outside her apartment.

Well, no one except Sherlock, of course. Bruised knuckles, bandaged index finger, the attentiveness of someone well-learned in martial arts... It was a bit obvious, really.

Sister.

It was his baby sister.

A smile escaped the corner of his mouth.