I hate fakers (Chapter 10)

Chapter 10 - I hate fakers

Why does Jayden hate me?

After my conversation with Kylie, I was convinced that she was right. That Jayden had romantic feelings for me.

After his display in the dining room this evening, Im not so sure.

Sure, he cooks for me and took care of me after the incident.

I mentally slap myself.

BUT... He irritates me to no end, he is my brothers best friend, and to top it off hes with Courtney.

You know what!?! I don't care anymore... Courtney can have Jayden.

Yip, that's final! I am going to forget about Jayden.

I will focus on Conrad.

With my decision made I roll over onto my back and stare up at the ceiling in the darkness of my room. I wipe my cheeks not even realising I had been crying.

Don't cry you wimp! Harden up!

Who cares about Jayden!

Conrad...Conrad...Conrad I mentally chant.

I let out a sigh as I visualise Conrad's sexy grin, and remember the feel of his warm breath washing over my face as I glance up into those deep ocean blue eyes. Wait...

What!?! I mentally slap myself again.

Conrad has chocolate brown eyes. Chocolate brown...Chocolate brown...Chocolate brown.

As Im considering whether it is wise to continually mentally slap myself, I hear footsteps approach my door.

Dammit! Thanks to Jayden and his big mouth my dad is probably going to ground me for life.

Perfect! NOT.

My door creaks open and I pretend to sleep, "Alayna" a hushed voice calls from the doorway.

Without thinking twice I throw my pillow across the room, and Im rewarded with the sound of the intruder grunting in surprise.

"Go away, Jay-den" I snarl as I drag out his full name like it is something disgusting.

Unfortunately, Jayden doesnt take me throwing a pillow at him as a hint that I don't want him here. Instead he walks over towards my bed clutching my pillow.

I am so relieved that its dark in my room, so he cant see that Ive been crying. He will probably laugh at me. Arrghh! Hes so annoying.

My bed dips as Jayden sits down, and then he turns to look at me.

I am lost in the captivating sea blue of his gaze. Maybe the darkness isn't a blessing but a curse, as the moonlight streaming through my window just seems to make his eyes look even better.

"Im an idiot" he mutters after a long silence. Jayden seems frustrated at himself as he runs his hand through his hair.

I seriously envy that hand right now. Wait...

What!?! Conrad...Conrad..Conrad I mentally chant.

I am tempted to say 'Yes you are an idiot' but Ive decided to give him the silent treatment. It kills him every time.

I stubbornly stare at him with an emotionless expression, as he reaches his hand towards my face to cup my cheek.

As soon as his hand touches me, I can feel heat rush to my cheeks and I hope that he cant sense it.

Jayden begins to stroke my cheek with his thumb in comforting circles that send a rush of heat raging through my body. I let out a breath, I didn't realise I was holding and purse my lips.

What the hell am I doing!?! I don't know.

What the hell is he doing!?! I don't think he knows.

"Im sorry baby girl" he whispers with remorse in every word. A stray tear falls down my cheek and meets his hand.

Dammit!

I mentally berate myself 'You are such a wimp!'

Jayden instantly cradles my face between his two strong hands, gently wiping away my tears and pleads "Please don't cry"

Dammit!

Now that one tear broke my defenses, all the little buggers want to incite a rebellion and I start crying with no hint of the tears ever stopping.

Jayden pulls me up into a hug and rocks me back and forth for what seems like an eternity, whispering comforting words until the tears finally dry up. I dont even know why I cried like a baby. Yip, Im a wimp.

I slowly lift my head away from his chest, where his shirt is now drenched in my tears and gaze into his eyes where I see remorse, sorrow and concern.

"Im sorry" he whispers as he places a light kiss on my nose.

But he doesn't release me. And, if I have to be honest with myself, I don't want him to.

Jayden shifts his weight slightly, and places one arm around my back and the other under my legs as he effortlessly lifts me off the bed.

I gasp at the quick, fluid motion and he chuckles.

I wrap my arms around his neck to slap him on the back of his head, and chuckle myself when he grunts.

Jayden carefully puts me under the covers with an amused expression on his face.

I eye him suspiciously. Hes up to something.

Then he starts to tickle me until Im laughing uncontrollably, screaming for mercy, all teary eyed again and gasping for air.

Yip! He was definitely up to something.

Jayden seems pleased with himself as he plonks down on the covers next to me.

"I told Dad everything " he explains as he unknowingly plays with a lock of my hair. People may think its strange that he calls my father, Dad. But Jayden has lived with us for so long when his parents died, that we think nothing of it.

"Im sorry I was an idiot this evening. Its just that..." he pauses.

Jayden startles me by quickly sitting up and putting his head in his hands.

Before I can stop myself, my hand is reaching towards his back and rubbing in comforting strokes as I whisper "Whats wrong?"

Jayden grabs my hand and places a small kiss on it, before laying back down. Still holding my hand, he explains further "I don't trust Conrad. I know you like him...I can see that...But there is something about him that seems off."

Jayden places a finger on my lips to stop my retort that was definitely on its way, and he asks "Please let me finish"

I reluctantly nod, as he continues "Im going to go easy on him...I don't want anything to come between you and me... I will try to like him...For you"

Wow! I did not see that one coming.

"Thank you" I whisper still in shock.

"But" he starts, and I knew there was a punch line "If he hurts you, I promise I will kill him" Jayden adds seriously.

I just weakly nod, because I know there is no way Jayden, Tyler or my father would let anyone get away with hurting me. After the incident, the three men in my life went into 'overprotective overdrive' and as they put it 'protected my best interests.'

Jayden pulls me to him to lay my head on his chest and I don't protest.

If Jayden only came to this realisation about Conrad now, I wonder why he was being nice to Conrad at lunch today. Perhaps...I stop that thought dead in its tracks.

Everything has worked out perfectly.

Jayden is going to let me have a chance with Conrad. Even Tyler wouldn't have conceded to that.

As I am drifting off to sleep in Jaydens arms he starts to sing me a lullaby that I haven't heard since the incident. I fall asleep before he can start the second verse and slip into a deep sleep.