Celebrating the Dead (7)

Start from the beginning

I got jealous, as usual, but had to let it go. She was basically programmed to act like that and there was nothing she could do. I just wish that she would see that he did not want her or need her. He cared for her as a brother, not her lover. I walked up the hall and sat down next to Legolas.

"Where are we to stay?" I asked.

"In a large room, filled with men," he said.

"Oh, gross," I said with a laugh.

He too then began to laugh and so did Gimli. We had a chorus of laughter going, before someone cleared their throat and we stopped. Théoden announced that a celebration of the dead would be held at dusk. Beer and ale was to be brought in and all men must be present. Soldiers bowed their heads and went back to their busy work.

"What is a celebration of the dead?" I asked Legolas.

"It's when their dead are celebrated in the highest honor, for they have fought and died for their king. It involves a lot of ale and grief," he said.

"Ah, so everyone will be drunk tonight?" I asked.

"If they aren't, I will be!" said Gimli with a great smile and chuckle.

I laughed with him and caught Aragorn's eye. He looked away and continued to talk with Éowyn.

"Can you show me where our room is? I'd like to put my items away before I try this ale and beer," I asked Legolas.

We both stood and I followed beside him. We went down a hall and at the end he opened a door and ushered me inside. There were blankets and pillows lying on the ground.

I looked for Aragorn's bag and sword and set my things next to it. I unbuckled my weapons belt and started to undress without realizing that Legolas was still standing in the doorway. Before I could open my mouth, he swiftly and gently walked away and shut the door. I smiled and began to take off my dirty clothes.

I was only in my under shirt and pants when there was a faint knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It is me, Lady Éowyn. I have a pair of fresh clothes for you milady," she said.

"Oh, thank you! Please come in!" I said.

She hesitantly opened the door and walked over to me. She held out a fresh shirt and pants. I grabbed the clothes and before she could turn around to leave, I grabbed her wrist.

"I see what you are doing. I know what you feel for him. You need to know that he can never be yours. Please, do not flirt with him anymore," I said gently and let go of her wrist.

"What? How did you know?" she asked.

"I can see it as plain as day. You fell for him the instant you laid eyes on him. You need to move on. He is not yours to have," I said whilst putting on my clothes.

Her eyes darted away with tears as she fled the room. I tried to call out to her, but she did not turn back. As she fled, Aragorn came through the doorway.

"What did you say to her?" he asked.

"I told her to move on. I didn't mean to make her upset," I said whilst struggling to put my boots on.

He made it over to me in three strides.

"Let me help," he said.

I stood straight up as he got down on a knee and took my foot onto his leg. He slowly worked his way up the boot, strapping it and tightening it. I set my foot down and gave him the other. He took it and did the same. As I set my foot back down, he stood and laid his hand on my cheek. I set my hand on his chest and smiled.