Chapter 6

Isabella returned home the next afternoon and decided to catch up on her beauty sleep. She changed into a tank top and shorts then drifted into a restless slumber. Normally, Isabella didn't dream when she closed her eyes. She only saw a black screen void of imagination. This time was different. A vivid picture of a grey Buick driving on Highway 36 filled her mind. Four people were in the car. Two kids occupied the backseats and were playing checkers excitedly. The parents were having a long conversation on finances while focusing on the road. The girl's eyes gleamed like tiny emeralds as she made a decisive move.

"I win!" she squealed.

Without a second thought, the boy flipped the board off of the backseat and onto the car floor.

"Whoops, looks like we'll never know who won."

Instead of protesting, she gave him the silent treatment and aimlessly peered out the window. The car made its way to the manor in the woods and parked on the freshly-cut lawn. The building towered over them, casting a shadow. The roof was painted a dark shade of blue with intricate designs decorating the sides.

"Daniel, Elena, come see our new home."

The image blurred away and was replaced by a house engulfed in flames. Daniel and Elena were teenagers now. Elena cried uncontrollably in contrast to Daniel's huge smile.

"How could you do this?" she sobbed. "I thought we had been over it already."

"Elena, we can't move past it. Maybe this incident will remind you that there's no hope in helping me."

"At the cost of our family?"

"Don't act innocent. You know you were part of the problem."

"That doesn't mean you can go back to your old ways. They're going to lock you up again."

"I don't have to worry if you keep quiet."

"As difficult as this decision is, I have to do the right thing."

Elena quickly pulled out her phone and typed in the number for Rachdale's Police Department.

"You're not doing the right thing. You're doing what's best for you," he shouted.

Daniel smacked the phone out of her hand and pulled out a semi-automatic hand gun from his back jeans pocket. The barrel of the gun rested against her temple and ignited a ground-breaking shatter. Elena fell onto the grass, drowning in blood. The phone was broken into bits that had scattered everywhere.

"I'm sorry."

He picked up the body and carried it back into the burning manor. Void of expression, Daniel watched the flames engulf his family and their mistakes. They were the past. Sacrificing them brought forth a brighter future. No weaknesses to create obstacles or make him doubt what had been decided. He had tried to warn Elena of the negative outcome. Unfortunately, she hadn't listened. Elena gave him false hope that things could be different. Little did Daniel know, she would return to be his biggest obstacle.