2

I had been at the children's home for a couple weeks now. It was an amazing space to be and I felt safe there. I still hadn't talked that much in fear of doing something wrong.

Polly was probably my favourite person in the entire building. She was always so happy and excited about everything, but also knew when to be serious. She told me she had been at this home for almost 8 years. I was surprised since Alex told me you are here to get ready for an adoption and regain trust. Polly was ready for adoption but she didn't want to leave. She told me she had only been questioned by a family twice, but they didn't take her home in the end.

Nina on the other hand, left the children's home one week after I arrived. So me and Polly were now the only people in the room.

Of course I love the home I was in right now, but I knew I couldn't stay here forever. My biggest fear was being adopted by parents just as bad as my actual family. My second biggest fear was not being adopted. Just not being interesting enough. Being too shy to be loved. That was what I was told the first 13 years of my life.

Eleven months had passed since I got here. Polly and I had become best friends. She understood my silence and every night that she found me crying in my bed, she would get up and sit by my bed to calm me down. She didn't care that I got panic attacks. She didn't care that I barely spoke. She loved me for who I was.

Every Saturday and Sunday the children's home was open for adoption. Everyone that was ready to be adopted could go downstairs to the big room where all the future parents walked around. I had never been in there because I was scared. But I had looked through the windows before. It looked like the parents were shopping in Ikea. Asking questions, staring at you for minutes, figuring out if you were a good fit for the family. Sometimes they asked Alex something about you.

This week I decided I was ready. I had been more comfortable speaking and felt less scared thinking about new parents.

'All the people that are ready can come downstairs! The parents are coming in at 1 pm!' I heard. I took a deep breath and followed Polly downstairs. 'You can do this Lucy, it's not as scary as it looks!' 'If one of us gets adopted, will we still talk?' I asked. We weren't allowed to have our own phones here, so she couldn't give me her number. 'You can ask the number of the parents and we can call that to talk, okay? No worries!'

Me and Polly were talking downstairs when a young woman with long, dark hair walked up to us together with Alex.

'Lucy, can you come with us?' Alex asked. I stood up and followed them to one of the tables in front of the room. 'Hi Lucy, I am Lilly and I am here to check you out!' She winked at me and Alex laughed. I smiled awkwardly.

Lilly and I talked for a long time. She seemed nice. I answered her questions with short answers, but Lilly didn't seem to be bothered by it.

The next day Alex walked into me and Polly's room. 'I have good news for both of you!' Polly and I looked at each other and then back at Alex. 'Both of you had a conversation with someone yesterday... and both of you are now ready to pack your bags!' Alex said. 'Lucy! We have a family!' Polly gave me a hug.

We were both running around our room cleaning up everything and stuffing everything in our bags. We both didn't have more than two bags full of stuff. The speakers beeped. 'Can Lucy come to the front desk with her bags please?' I looked at Polly. 'I will miss you so much,' I said while a tear rolled down my cheek. 'I will miss you too.' Polly followed me with her bags. Even though her new parents weren't here she didn't want to be in our empty room on her own.

I said goodbye to Polly and Alex and followed Lilly to her car. 'Are you excited to come with me?' She asked. 'Yeah,' I said. Lilly was very nice but I was still very shy around her. Something about her was so intimidating. She looked so confident and happy.

We were driving for a while when I saw we entered LA. I had always wanted to go here! Does she live here? That would be a dream come true!

The car stopped in front of a beautiful house. 'Come in!' Lilly said as she held the door open for me. 'I hope you will like it here!'

HI
Lucy arrived at Lilly's house! I hope you like this story so far. I'll try to update as much as I can but school is a bitch so I can't promise anything! Also I'm sorry if my spelling is effed😂