The New Quidditch Players

After the news of the break-in at Gringotts, Harry seemed to drift off into space every time there was a prolonged period with out conversation. y/n and Harry were sitting on a bench at lunch waiting for Ron and Hermione to arrive so they could all head to their class together. y/n was reading through her notes for charms and Harry was staring blankly off into nothing, a thoughtful look on his face. y/n sighed and snapped her fingers in front of him to bring him back down to Earth.

"Hello? Earth to Harry?" she said, "I'm trying to help you but it's hard when you drift off like that every now and then,"

"Oh, sorry y/n," He murmured, still thinking about whatever had stolen his attention.

"There's something on your mind. Come on, spill," y/n commanded as she closed the charms book and leant on it.

Harry looked around as if to check if anyone was listening then he leant in slightly so he wouldn't have to raise his voice, "Okay, so the vault that was broken into at Gringotts, was the same one that Hagrid and I went to in Diagon Alley. He said it was Hogwarts business, very secret, and since someone tried to break into it, it's obviously important,"

"Do you have any idea what it could be?" y/n inquired further.

"None at all, but y/n, Ron didn't want me to tell you this,"

"What? Why?"

"He just doesn't trust you since you're in Slytherin and all..." Harry dropped his gaze and was focusing intently on the blades of grass at his feet.

"Harry, " y/n said softly. "Look at me," he looked up at her e/c eyes, "Do you honestly think that I'm evil or something? Just because of my house?" She was desperately trying to convey the genuine emotions with her eyes.

"No! No, I don't, but it's just Ron and what he's been told and-"

"Yeah, Harry that's really great! You're really improving at this charm!" y/n spoke suddenly leaving Harry very confused. She motioned behind him with her eyes, he turned around to see Hermione and Ron walking up to them.

Harry looked back understanding the change in her tone, "Oh yeah, right, uh, thanks!"

The four made their way to the main courtyard. Two rows of brooms were lined up and Madam Hooch, the flying instructor, was waiting for the last few students to arrive. Again, Gryffindor and Slytherin shared the class and so they were separated with one house for each row of brooms. y/n was placed next to Malfoy and across from the trio.

"Good afternoon class!" She said as she walked down the aisle of students.

"Good afternoon Madam Hooch," the class chorused.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson! Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of your broomstick, come on now hurry up!" The students stepped forward to the old tattered brooms "Stick your right hand over the broom and say 'up',"

There's a chorus of "ups" as the students all try to grab their broom. y/n's shoots up into her hand first try, as does Harry's. They look at each other and smile, "Cool," y/n mutters staring wondrously at the broom in her hand.

Draco is next to seize his broom and from then on all the brooms eventually, end up in the hands of the students.

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it. Grip it tight. You don't want to be sliding off the end," The first years all stepped over so that they held their broom firmly in their hands and were straddling it like a bike, "When I blow my whistle, I want you to kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your broom steady, hover for a moment before touching back down. On my whistle, three, two-"