A Post Mortem Examination

Unfortunately, It is very easy to write 150 words that means nothing. Avoid this mistake of wasting time and words.

I have seen answers which have large introductions so that 50 to 100 words will be wasted on introduction and very less space is left for real answer.

Repetitions and too much elaboration of one single point will be wastage of words in question with word limits. Try to be specific and objective.

Avoid using cliches and commonly used phrases. It will be used by many other candidates and makes your answer just another one. Try to be your individual self and creative.

Don't brag about yourselves and get examiner irritated. Be sharp with observation and analysis and up to the point.

I am giving you some examples of jargon and empty sentences which you should avoid. These are quoted from answer sheets I valued and tell you how boring it is to write all the complex words to show your word power, still the sentence means nothing.

In the end remember, planned answer gets you to better marks in less time, if you practice planning regularly. So start writing an answer a day within strict time limits with proper planning, and be successful.

TECHNIQUE OF SELF EVALUATION

You may not get a faculty to evaluate all your answers. There are some techniques of self evaluation that you can follow in such cases to evaluate yoursleves. Follow the steps, though it may seem foolish to you in beginning. It may not be working as you expect. But by time you will evolve and will become efficient.

Step 1.

Write answer following instructions, note down the number of words written, time taken, number of sentences and number of paragraphs. Calculate your speed in words per minute and in sentences per minute.

Leave it for some time and study some unrelated topics.

Step 2 - Evaluation.

Once sufficient time has passed to remove any emotional attachment you have for your answer, remove the effects of ego, we can start evaluation.

Evaluation 1

Read once and cut all the sentences which were copied from any of the sources, like copied from class notes, class materials, refernce books or magazines.

This ensures that the remaining answer is completely yours.

Evaluation 2

Check whether your introduction and conclusion fits in the formulae. If either of them doesnot, no more point in evaluating the answer. Abandon, rewrite and start over again.

If both of them fits into fomrulae, check your introduction,

a) is the reason x really recent, or can you remember something else that was more recent.

b) is the conclusion really pragmatic, pro nation, pro poor, pro weaker sections and pro women.

If all is well keep 1% of marks in reserve. The marks for conclusion and introduction should be given only if answer has atleast some relevant points.

Evaluation 3

See the construction of sentences, If the answer is grammatically perfect proceed to next step.

If no rewrite the answer and start over.

Evaluation 4

See whether all the points needed for answer are there.

If yes, give 40% of marks.

If no, see the relevance of points. If all the relevant points are there, give 35% of marks.

Anything less can be given lower points based on number and relevance of points.

Evaluation 5

See whether there is a logical arrangement of points.

If yes give 5% of marks.

If no, valuation ends here. Add up previously awarded marks and that is your final mark.

See whether there are enough connecting words and most of the ideas are well connected. If yes, add another 5%.

If no, valuation ends here. Add up previously awarded marks and that is your final mark.

Evaluation 6

Give the answer to a friend and tell him to read once. Let him explain what he understood from answer. If he clearly understood the idea meant by you, add another 5% mark.

If no, valuation ends here. Add up previously awarded marks and that is your final mark.

If he thinks its clear and impressive add marks on a scale of 20%.

If no, valuation ends here. Add up previously awarded marks and that is your final self awarded mark.

Step 3 - Cross Evaluation

Share this evaluation technique with your friend. Tell him to evaluate the answer using the techniques.

This will give you your cross evaluated mark.

Step 4

What is the difference between both marks. If it is more than 10% discard the answer and rewrite.

If it is less than 10% take an averge of those and that is your final mark.

ANSWER EVALUATION

TOTAL TIME TAKEN (MIN) =

NUMBER OF WORDS =

NUMBER OF SENTENCES =

NUMBER OF PARAGRAPHS =

SELF EVALUATION MARKS =

CROSS EVALUATION MARKS =

YOUR WRITING SPEED

WORDS/MINUTE =

CONTENT

WORDS/SENTENCE =

YOUR PRODUCTIVITY

MARKS/SENTENCE =nnn

MARKS/WORD =

MARKS/PARAGRAPH =

Your Aims should be to improve productivity per word, productivity per sentence at optimum speed demanded by examination. Your speed of evaluation also increases with practice and you will automatically follow the steps subconciously.