Right Figure for the Winning Answer

 Drawing schematic diagram in an answer was a technique used by students from times immemorial to impress the examiners about the candidates understanding of the issue. Prospects of diagrams and figures in scoring better marks are having many dimensions to consider.

 First possibility we have to consider is the possibility of the figure going wrong. Suppose your answer is perfect, but you messed up the figure and presented a completely wrong diagram. Examiner will be surprised to see the contradiction between figure and write-up. He will understand the lack of absoluteness in the minds of the candidate. He understands how much confused you are, and every effort goes wrong. BETTER GO WITH OUT A DIAGRAM IF YOU ARE NOT SURE!!!

 Another possibility is that the particular topic can be represented by different diagrams, signifying different stages. If it is a short answer you may not get time to draw all diagrams. You have to choose one out of many diagrams. In this case you have to choose the most appropriate diagram, which is most appropriate to the answer of the question. Judge, if you had only one sentence to answer the question, which sequel of the answer would you choose. Draw the diagram depicting that sequel. Drawing a less significant diagram for question may not give you sufficient rewards to time and energy wasted. DRAW THE MOST APPROPRIATE DIAGRAM.

Many a times, since the time per answer is very less, candidates tends to draw a figure, and omit substantial part of answer represented by the figure to save time. Remember, you are asked to write an answer, and diagram is not essential part of answer. You are trying to corner extra runs by figure, and if you omit the real answer, and substitute it with figures you will be far behind in the race. The Answer should be complete in itself even with out a figure and diagram is only an aid to supplement understanding. DON'T SUBSTITUTE ANSWER WITH DIAGRAM.

Same logic can be applied in another dimension to get you to another principle. Since Answer gives you mark and you should dedicate time for answer, DON'T WASTE TOO MUCH TIME ON FIGURE.

Last, but not the least important, is that your paper should be neat, even if you draw a diagram. Don't soil your paper, don't smudge ink in name of diagram, and place the diagram properly between the text written. KEEP IT CLEAN. There are many aspects in keeping a page with diagram neat, apart from avoiding ink marks. Most important of them is 'Text Wrapping'. Go for Top and Bottom wrapping, which appears neat. Remember you are not preparing layout for magazine where you cannot waste empty space.

Don't write over the diagram or keep the text tightly wrapped, which makes it difficult to read. No need of even overlapping of lines. Let the figure stand separate and clean. WRAP THE TEXT AWAY FROM FIGURE.

Labelling of your diagram is another element which can make it good or bad. Don't label here and there in a hurry. Connect the parts with a straight line radiating from the figure and label using horizontal fonts. Slanting or vertical labels are difficult to read. LABEL NEATLY.

There is one last golden rule which you can simply practice, in case you find it difficult to practice all these small rules. "UNLESS YOU CAN DRAW WITHIN TIME, NEATLY, & LABEL PROPERLY, DON'T DRAW UNTIL ASKED"