Link it...

Link it...

Many times we write answers which are having all the points, yet doesn't score good marks. Have you ever wondered why it happens!!!

Your answer has all the points but it is boring to read. The examiner yawned twice in between reading a single page and he got confused many times what is the connection between first and second point. He was too lazy and had limited time to read it again and find the relation. Ultimately he decided your answer has fewer points and gave you fewer marks.

Do you think it is impossible???

It is possible considering the time they are given to evaluate a paper is much less than sufficient to read a difficult passage.

So what is to be done???

Link the ideas properly. Yes, you have to say what is the connection between your first point and the second point, the second point and third point, so on, till your answer ends.

Isn't it difficult???

Nope! Its quite easy to connect the ideas and it won't take many words to eat out your word limits. A single word or a small phrase in front of each paragraph is sufficient to link your ideas. See the paragraph below.

"The development needs of the people in Naxal affected areas should be considered as of greatest importance and we should ensure the development of schools, health centres, economic opportunities etc in those areas.

But, there should be a 'Zero Tolerance towards violent components of Naxalism, with effective policing and proper modernisation of police forces."

You can see how the word but connects the opposite looking points efficiently. See again.

"But, there should be a 'Zero Tolerance towards violent components of Naxalism, with effective policing and proper modernisation of police forces.

Apart from these, there is a need for perception management, whereby people should be made aware of government initiatives to create a psychological reach out of machinery to the people, including proper democratic decentralisation, penetration of political parties and grass root empowerment.

Moreover, the government should seriously consider the possibilities of democratic solutions through peace talks and ceasefires taking Naxal leaders into better belief."

See the usage of phrase 'apart from these' and the word 'moreover'. They efficiently connect the ideas with each other. There can be a lot of different words which can be used effectively to link your ideas and create a flow in your answers. Identify them and use them properly to create an answer which is not boring, and in the end, is scoring...

Basically what you have to do is plan the connecting word to be used in each paragraph while planning your answer and ensure that you remember to write it as the first word of every paragraph.

Another strategy which you can use if you cannot find right connecting words is to leave a word's space before each paragraph and fill the word later carefully so that none understands it was added later.

Here are a few connecting words which you can use in different contexts.

To add points or to extend ideas you can use the following words:

Similarly, equally, likewise,  additionally, also, furthermore, Indeed, in the same way, besides, above all, as well, in addition, moreover

To show the next step or to show the order of happenings, or to put ideas in order you can use the following words:

 first(ly), second(ly)... to begin/start with,  initially, most importantly,  in the first/second place, first and foremost, first and most importantly another, then, after, next, afterwards, meanwhile,  later, finally, ultimately, lastly.

To indicate a contrast or to compare or to show an antagonistic point you can use the following words:

however, on the other hand, alternatively, in contrast, instead, conversely, on the contrary, in fact, rather, in comparison, another possibility, but better/worst, still, despite this, in spite of, nevertheless, notwithstanding, for all that, yet, although, all the same, nonetheless.

To show cause and effect or to show conclusion or deduction we can use, so, therefore, thus,  then as result/consequence, resulting from,  in this/that case, consequently,  for this reason, owing to/due to the fact,  it follows that this suggests that, accepting/assuming this, in conclusion,  it might be concluded from this, this implies  in short, to conclude, in all, hence,  All this evidence indicates...

To provide an illustration or explain further we can use the following words. Short answers being limited by the number of words we can use provides less scope of explanation and these words may be used only rarely in such answers.

for example, that is, that is to say,  in other words, namely,  such as typical of this/such, on such, not least,  a typical/particular/key, example, including, especially, chiefly, mainly, most importantly

 Try to practise the use of linking words in speech and writing even if it is not for competitive examinations and you will realise the change in few days. These are the words which gives fluency to what you write and makes examiner read without thinking much.

 So start now 'Link It...'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 EXERCISE 6

Identify the questions already answered and rewrite using connecting words, read both forms and compare.