Volume 2, Chapter 6: Black, Red, then White

I was honestly starting to regret choosing to land on the roof of that particular building. There were A LOT of stairs. By the time we reached the ground floor, the whole team was huffing and puffing. We had to take a moment to catch our breath before proceeding out of the building.

The streets were quiet. One could almost say it was too quiet if it weren't for the constant sense of impending doom and the occasional screech of juvenile Nevermores flying overhead.

As we made our way through the streets towards where team RWBY had landed, I was able to observe our surroundings. I felt an overwhelming sense of loss as I pondered on the countless lives that could have been saved here in Mountain Glen.

We slowed as we approached the landing zone, concealing ourselves behind the wall of a nearby building. I was understandably surprised when I peeked around the corner. Team RWBY stood a few blocks south of us with Dr. Oobleck. The nutty professor was currently spinning excitedly holding aloft a small black-and-white... corgi? 

'Why in the world do they have a dog?!'

I got distracted by the ridiculous scene before me. I jumped slightly when Jamie suddenly tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to the taller boy who silently pointed west down our current road. A small group of Beowolves were quickly approaching. They seemed to be on team RWBY's scent. 

I heard DJ's weapon deploy in its sniper rifle form. I quickly turned on him before he could shoot. 

"No!" I said in a whisper. "We aren't supposed to let team RWBY know we're here. If you fire, you'll give away our position."

DJ looked at me in annoyance. "But Ozpin said to keep the Grimm away from them! How do you suggest we do that, (f/n)?" he retorted.

"Shift across the street and cut them down," I returned. "At this distance, no one should see you moving that fast. Not even the Grimm should see you coming. Make it quick and make it quiet."

DJ focused on the Grimm. "Fine," he said grudgingly. His weapon switched to its blade mode, the edges glowing green as he charged the infused dust. I kept my eyes around the corner to make sure no one was looking before giving him the signal. 

DJ shot across the street in a blur, stopping right in front of his targets. There was no sound as he slashed several times with his sword, and all of the creatures fell to the ground dead.

DJ turned back to us as he took cover behind the closest wall, giving a thumbs up. I returned the gesture and again peeked around to check on team RWBY. I was disappointed to see another larger pack of Beowolves rounding an intersection a block south of us and two blocks from team RWBY's position. Team RWBY was already poised for combat. We couldn't assist without being discovered, so the girls would have to handle this particular battle alone.

I scanned our surroundings briefly then called DJ's scroll. He answered, and I began to dish out instructions. "DJ, I want you on an upper floor of one of these buildings. You're going to be directing traffic while we handle the monsters on the ground. Keep team RWBY in your sights, and tell us where any approaching Grimm are."

"Got it!" He responded. 

I hung up and saw him suddenly turn and enter a nearby building. I nodded to Skyler to follow him. "Watch his back," I ordered. Skyler left without a word, sticking to the shadows as she ran to catch up with DJ. 

I then turned to Jameson. "Go back the way we came and around the block to cover the east flank," I instructed. "I'll take the west."

He nodded curtly then took off down the road.