Chapter 3

After they'd had their fill and taken a rest to let it go down some, the five friends set out for the Gym after picking up some better clothes for the occasion and stuffing them into bags.
It was a bit of a long walk, but it was a lovely day for it.
As they walked through the bustling streets of the city centre and its rows of shops and stalls, more than a few people bowed at Helena after they'd spotted her necklace. After the first five, the friends started remarking upon it to help pass travel time.
   "...does everyone know about that apart from us?" Prompto said. "Sure seems like it to me."
   "Varies from place to place." Helena told him as she nodded at another one. "They may not recognise me, but almost nobody fails to recognise the necklace."
   "Looks like they're all of a certain age group, too." Ignis added.
   "Way to make you feel like a kid again." Noctis smiled. "Aren't those necklaces all over the place, though? I mean really, it's just a piece of jewellery."
   "Not...exactly." Helena supplied. "The symbols of the Divines are under a very strict copyright. There's only one of each in the world- and copying it for any reason is considered extreme offense to the Divine as well as who wears it."
   "...oh, okay. What's the punishment?"
   "For offending a Divine? Death, usually."
   "Ouch. Understandable, though."
   "Nobody's tried it yet, thankfully. I'd still feel bad if it actually happened to someone. No, there's only one of each. Technically I'd need all seven, but since Bahamut is Sovereign I wear the highest-ranking one instead."
   "What if you lose it?"
   "Not possible. The materials don't degrade or rust, the chain can't be broken..you'd have to kill me to take it off. And then, one of the Divines would eventually arrive to reclaim it."
   "This is getting somewhat morbid," Ignis said then, "shall we speak of something else?"
   "I can't wait to see this Gym." Gladiolus said. "Been dyin' to get in there since the day it opened."
Helena glanced at him. "...so it wasn't public membership?"
   "No. Niffs only- can ya believe it? We get our first-ever, shiny new Gym, and they lorded over it like they did everythin' else."
   "Don't break too many machines." Noctis joked. "You don't know your own strength sometimes."
This appeared to be true, he was indeed the strongest of them by far, physically, as well as the tallest by half a foot.
Gladiolus grinned. "I'll try and be gentle."
   "Please do. Don't wanna get thrown out on our first trip."
   "Relax. I'll be good. If this place is as good as the radio says it is, I reckon I'll be here quite a bit- if we can join up now."
   "I'll see what I can do." Helena told him.

They pushed open the doors and headed for the main reception area dead ahead, letting Helena take the lead so that she could speak to the attendant behind the kiosk.
   "...can I help you?" The smartly-dressed man asked.
   "I hope so." Helena said to him. "We're looking to join."
   "We're still sorting out a change of management first, so you may have to wait...a while." He then noticed the necklace, and became incredibly nervous. "I, uh...I'll...just get the manager. Can you wait right there, please?" He then ran off and headed through a door behind the kiosk area.
   "Sure." Helena said to the empty space in front of her. She then started laughing, and the others weren't far behind.
Gladiolus put a hand on her shoulder. "You do have this effect on certain people, y'know." He said in her ear.
   "Glad you're not one of them." She smiled.

After almost a minute, an even more smartly-dressed man with grey at his temples came into the kiosk, closely followed by the previous attendant.
   "This is a surprise." The man said warmly. "We're very honoured to have you visit our establishment, my Lady. My assistant tells me that you're interested in becoming a member?"
   "That's right, yeah." Helena nodded. "Me and my four friends."
The manager then recognised Noctis and Gladiolus, and dispensed bows to each of them. "I'd be happy to. There's a brief form to fill in though, if you've a couple of moments?"
   "Sure. Although...you won't be able to use my patronage as advertising. I'm sure you're aware. Rules and all that."
   "...yes, o-of course. I'll get you the forms. One second." He then shoved at the attendant to send him away, and both men left the kiosk again as Helena turned towards her friends with a broad, closed-mouth smile on her face. Trying to hold a laugh in, it looked like, and the others grinned at her.
   "He seemed disappointed." Ignis stated.
   "Oh, didn't you know? That's the other occupation of the Magisterium. Making everything fair."
He smiled at that. "Quite."
   "He'd better not look too disappointed though, or I won't be giving him a tip for the service."
   "You're not gonna be cruel, are ya?" Gladiolus asked. "After all, you did manage to get us in."
She smiled. "No, they can have one. I'm in their debt."
   "...I am to you as well."
   "Long as you're not gonna throw money at me." She joked.
   "I can think of somethin' better." He grinned.
   "Cover your ears, kids." Ignis said.
   "Shut up." Prompto poked him. "I'm almost twenty."
Helena looked at Gladiolus speculatively for a couple of seconds, then smiled and turned back around.
   "...maybe." She then said.
Gladiolus then got poked in the ribs by Noctis. "You might be in there." He whispered.
   "Ssh." He cautioned. "Might have good ears."
   "Think the rest of her is good, too?"
His mouth opened, but then he closed it again.
Noctis grinned. "You sly fox. Good luck, ya might need it."