Chapter 1

Gladiolus had been trying to read. Had.
But the insistent hammering on his front door wouldn't let him. So, with a sigh, he left his book on a table and went to see who the owner of that knock was...although judging by the enthusiasm clearly present in it, he reckoned that it was Prompto.
He opened the door and sure enough, the slim blonde dashed into his living room, leaving Gladiolus staring at empty space.
   "What the...hey!" He turned around. "The hell's all this-"
   "He's coming back!" Prompto yelled.
   "Who?"
   "She's coming over, and then he's gonna come back, and then he'll get his powers back, and-"
   "Hey!" Gladiolus yelled. "Slow down, okay? Breathe."
Prompto paused, then stood there trying to regain his breath.
   "Okay now calm, alright? I can't understand you when you're doin' that whole excited shit right there." He held his hands out towards the rapidly-breathing man. "Now tell me slower; who's coming from over where to do what?"
   "Noct's coming back." Prompto then said. "She'll make him."
Gladiolus looked at him for a second, then extended one of his arms to slam the door closed without looking at it.
   "...you're crazy." He replied.
   "No! No I'm not, it's true! Roc just told me himself."
   "The Steward?"
   "Yeah! It's great news! It'll be just like old times! So I came over to come and get you, yeah? Hear it for yourself."
Gladiolus paused; surely not, he thought. He's dead. Been dead for...almost a year. There's no way.
   "Where's Ignis?" He then asked.
   "He's pryin' Roc for more info as we speak." Prompto replied quickly. "Doesn't make much sense to me, so while I'm waitin' to get Iggy's version. He sent me to come get you."
   "...you didn't give anythin' away while you were gettin' over here, did ya?" Due to the occupation, Magitek soldiers were everywhere now. If one of them had overheard...
Prompto shook his head. "I held it in."
   "Huh. Miracles happen."
   "More than usual, soon. What are you waitin' for, let's go!"
Gladiolus still thought it was a yarn, but he sighed and decided to go along with it. "Come on then, show me. And keep it down near any soldiers, yeah? I'm not in the mood for bustin' heads."
With Prompto leading the way, they headed to the Chapel. Since everything had changed a year ago, that was where they met up instead. No hope of getting near the castle these days.

After going through the main room of the Chapel, the two men went downstairs to the basement level to see Ignis and Roc sitting at the table with a very official letter resting in Roc's hand.
   "Got here faster than I thought you would." Ignis said as they approached. "Bet you didn't believe him, right?"
   "Not when someone barges into my house like a fuckin' Daemon, no." Gladiolus replied stiffly. "I'm still not entirely convinced that he's sane, either. What's goin' on? In English, please."
Roc then spoke. "To put it simply, it means that we'll get our rightful King back...eventually."
   "This may take a while," Ignis warned him, "so better grab a drink. Brought some supplies with me." He inclined his head towards a table at the rear of the room that Gladiolus hadn't first seen, crammed full of beer and assorted foodstuffs.
He briefly got up, grabbed a beer and a couple of hot sandwiches, then retook his seat. "So tell me." He then said. "What the fuck is goin' on around here? He's dead."
   "Right now, yes." Roc nodded. "However, this letter came a day ago from the Magisterium." He briefly waved the silver-sealed item that was in his hand, which he then gave to Gladiolus.
He paused, then began to read through it. After a few moments, he shook his head and gave it back. "That's too technical for me," he said impatiently, "so how bout you gimme a version that I can sink my teeth into, huh?"
   "I couldn't read it either, heh." Prompto interjected.
   "As you all know," Roc began, "Noctis sacrificed himself as the King of Light in order to remove the Starscourge and prevent daemons from overtaking all of Eos. He'll currently exist Beyond, with the late Oracle Lunafreya."
   "Yeah, we know that part."
   "This letter states that tomorrow at roughly noon, the High Magister herself is going to arrive here. To see you three, and to revive the fallen Noctis."
   "...what?" He couldn't believe it. Couldn't. "How is that even remotely possible? Who the hell are they, anyway?"
   "As Kings oversee men and lands, Magisters preside over the seven Divines, and matters of magic and nature. They're the ones who appoint and imbue Oracles with their gifts. Most people forget about Magisters, except at times like this."
   "Times like what?"
   "Matters of urgency that affect things on a worldly scale." Roc paused to drink some of his own beer, then continued. "Do you know anyone else who can wield the Lucian Crystal?"
Gladiolus shook his head. "Well...no, but-"
   "The Magisterium doesn't usually interfere in the ways of men, or of war. But this war has caused an enormous problem, as it ended up taking the King of Light from this world. We won't last long without him; his birthright is all that protects us from future relapses of the Starscourge. Daemons are already starting to appear again, in certain places, and thanks to Niflheim and their lust for dominion, nobody else remains to repel the threat. They've also had a letter, apparently, to advise them of what is going to happen very soon."
   "Bet that went down well."
   "Like a lead balloon. All that deceit and trickery to get Lucis into their keeping, and they're now being told to stand down? Emperor Iedolas is not amused. He's upset the balance with all his warmongering and chicanery, and he'll pay for it."
   "...call me a sceptic," Ignis then said, "but I really don't see the Emperor just handing Lucis over without a fight. Do you?"
Roc chuckled. "You've never seen a Magister, then."
   "I didn't even know what they were until a short while ago."
   "They're very well-endowed, magically. And the High Lady herself? Seen to be believed. She's like a Goddess in human form. Which means, you'll need to be on your best behaviour."