1.9 - The Gala [ I ]

Start from the beginning

Ian rolled his eyes and shut the door after I settled in. He jogged around the car and settled on the driver seat and began driving. The soft purring of the car and the slight woosh of the wind was totally working like a lullaby for me.

Suddenly I remembered, "Tomorrow you have to attend a Gala" I reminded him.

"I'll skip that" he said unfazed.

"It's a charity gala" I replied hitting his nerve. He pondered for a few moments and then sighed. "Fine"

"Um.. You need a date" I said hesitatingly and looked out at the outline of trees passing by in the dark. "I don't do dates" he said "Ever" he added later. "Well, I don't think so you'll be wearing diamond necklaces for the event now, will you?" I asked, sacarsm laced in my voice. He glanced at me and went back to drive with that expressionless face.

"Do whatever you want" I mummered and rested my head on the cool glass, gazing the trees and houses passing by. As I was about to shut my eyes the car stopped. "We'er here" he said cutting the engine off.

"Finally home" I breathed in relief and gathered my purse to get out of this car and rest in peace on my bed. I noticed Ian stopped midway from opening his car door and stared at me like I've just asked his kidneys.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"What did you just say?" He asked.

"Final- " I stopped mid sentence as I realised what I've said. Home.

I cleared my throat and got out of the car and went inside the house hurriedly to avoid answering his questions. "I'll just get changed then we can have dinner" Ian said with a frown and went to his room. I too went inside my room, kept my bag on the ground, dropped my killer heels and threw myself on the bed, bouncing a bit.

"Heaven" I breathed.

I decided to sleep for a little while and then go change, but as soon as I closed my eyes, I was out like a light.

I had a vague memory of someone coming inside my room and pulling a duvet over me and saying something like "I'm sorry Alison for everything. Sweet dreams" I think that was him, then maybe not. He will never say sorry to me when I'm asleep. Right? Right

~~~~~~

"I can't do it" I whispered to myself and took two steps back. "No, I must do it" I encouraged myself and stepped forward. I frowned as I questioned my actions again. Emily was just sitting on my bed watching my actions while noisily munching on her chips.

"Ohh do it already. You got yourself into this." She exclaimed and threw my phone in my direction. Luckily I caught it before it crashed on the floor. I glared at her but she remained unfazed.

I sighed as I know that I have to do it. I had no choice. So I dialed her number and waited while it rang. She finally answered on the fourth ring.

"Hello sissy" Ashley chirped.

"Hey. Are you free tonight?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yup." She popped the 'p'.

"Listen, can you do me a favour?"

"Of course sis"

"Ian has to attend this charity gala and he needs a date. I can't go since I'm not feeling well so can you please go?" I asked with expectation in my voice. I was answered by silence. I would have thought she hung up but her breathing said otherwise.

"Ashley?" I asked after a while of no answer.

"Are you ok with that?" She asked.

"Well, duh if I were not we wouldn't be having this conversation" I said.