Chapter 2: The Marketplace

After my dad was out of bed and changed, I handed him a cup of coffee and a breakfast burrito. After he had finished his coffee I quietly asked "Is it okay if I go shopping and to the library today?"

"Sure." my dad said, "I'll be out investigating the tomb today anyways, so go ahead, Abayomi."

"Thanks Dad" I exclaimed, kissing him on the cheek. I grabbed my wallet and phone as well as my purse and hotel key card before heading out the door. After leaving the hotel I wandered the bustling city streets as I headed towards the marketplace. As I walked, I deeply inhaled the warm, cinnamony scent of the golden sunlit city as it proudly greeted the day. As I drew close to my destination I began to hear cries of "Fresh dates, 6 for a pound!" "Cup of Sahlab, fresh and hot for a pound!" and so on. I walked towards the sahlab stand on my way into the marketplace and handed over a pound. I took a sip of my steaming drink and inwardly sighed in pleasure. It tasted like vanilla-flavored hot chocolate, thick and creamy with a hint of cinnamon. As I browsed the stands, I began to feel drawn towards my upper right-hand side. As I turned in that direction I saw a small stand selling authentic egyptian jewelry. I hurried over and gasped in amazement at the glittering and stunning display.

As I looked over the beautiful, intricate pieces, my eye caught on a necklace that looked like a scarab beetle carved lapis lazuli stone with gold accented blue-green beaded wings on either side, a circular red jewel above it and a teardrop shaped turquoise jewel beneath, as well as translucent blue teardrops on the lower curve of the wings. I asked the kind looking lady at the stand how much the alluring necklace cost. She looked up at me, practically jumping in shock to see me standing there.

She stammered out "normally it would be one hundred pounds, but you can have it for twenty-five pounds, miss."

"Deal!" I said, hardly believing my good luck. She carefully wrapped it in waxed paper and slid it into a beautifully decorated and beaded papyrus bag. As I walked away from her stand, I happily hugged my new purchase to my chest before slipping it into my purse. I continued walking until I saw another stand that was selling intricate stone carvings and statues. There were about ten of those carvings that jumped out at me when I looked at them. I bought those five little carvings and five beautiful tiny statuettes for 2 pounds. Then, I stopped for a lunch of delicious ta'miya (falafel) and some Aish Merahrah bread. As I walked out of the market, I bought two slices of creamy, delicate, and decadent chocolate cake to bring home as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The necklace she bought is the same as the one for the last chapter and the picture above is of Sahlab. below is the snake headdress I mentioned last chapter.

 below is the snake headdress I mentioned last chapter