Chapter 1: Sage is Born

Myla's P.O.V

     I held her over the couldren as she cried freely letting bitter sweet tears drip into the water. A sweet smell began to fill the air. I took her hand and cut along her palm. She bit her lip taking the pain well. I turned her hand over letting a single drop of her precious blood fall into the water. 

     A noise, almost a sigh or gasping breath, came up from the water. " Is it ready?" Melody, my daughter, asked still holding her unborn child in her arms. I looked at the liquid. Something was missing. Then, out of the corner of my eye a jar of sage glistened.

     " That's it!" I whisked it off the wooden shelf and withdrew two leaves from the jar. They gracefully floated from my hand. As soon as they made contant with the surface a mist began to emit from the liquid. Again I heard a sigh, but this time it was full of satisfaction and content. 

     I smiled slightly but I knew I was not done yet. "Okay. Now hand me the child. " Her shakey hands passed over tue born yet unborn child. The childs body was lacking life and movement. I removed the blanket from the child and held her in one arm.

     With my other arm I tilted the couldren emptying the contents into a large metal tub that sat on the floor below it. I got on my knees and gently lowered the child into the tub. I closed my eyes and began the chant. 

"This child born dead

Her life shall begin

Awake from her bed

With breath of the wind

A daughter of earth

With green eyes of sage

Give life after birth

And many years of age

     I repeated the chant several times, for we beleive since seven is the perfect number. held my breath as I now fully submerged the child under the surface.Emerging from what seems to be the depths of heavens a woman's voice spoke. It covered every inch of the room. It was so soothing and calming that even Melody stopped shaking and sweating.

     Flowing rich and thick as honey the voice spoke to me. " Lift the child from the midst of the waters and lift her face to the stars for they shall shine bright in her. And Melody, though thine daughter is born on this night of darkness, dark shall is be no more for a blessing has been discovered tonight. Your mate shall come to you in a weeks time. He shall take you and your daughter into his home and treat you as if you were his own. Only then shall you find happiness. "

     I then pulled the infant from the water and gasped at what my eyes beheld. The child emerged from the surface with open eyes. Her sage eyes were large and glassy. Her eyes dartedaround as they widened suddenly. I then realized that her lungs were filled with the water. I flipped her so that she faced the ground. I patted her back consistanty until her chokes turned into cries. 

     My grand daughter took her first full breath I quickly wrote down the date, time and place. "Mom?" I looked over at Melody who laid on the cother hair plastered to her forehead with sweat. I handed her the baby. She laughed to herself and rocked from side to side cooing the baby.

     "Mom"she spoke, her voice hoarse "I know what Ill name her." I took a damp cloth and wiped her forehead. "What are you gonna name her?" I asked quietly. "Ill name her Sage. Sage Alexandria " I smiled as she quietly repeated the name over to herself as she slowly fell asleep.