Forty-Six. (Finale)

Isamariá

I sat at the old, brown dining table that Grandma still had from when I was a little girl. I reminisced on the good times I had with daddy and Momma on Thanksgiving Day. I also reminisced on the times I used to sit at this table just waiting for Grandma to bring out that good Hispanic food she always made when I came over on the weekends.

"I know it's past your birthday, but I haven't mailed out your birthday present yet." Grandma smiled.

"I didn't want nothin,' Grandma." I smiled. "It's a present just being here!"

"Oh, shut up all that mouthin.'" She chuckled. "Here ya go, honey."

She handed me a pink box. I opened it, and inside was a small mirror, and a tiny brown girl with curly hair that spun around in a circle, as a familiar Hispanic lullaby instrumental played. Then, I noticed a silver necklace with a key at the end. The key was a heart key, and inside you could see a purple liquid.

"What's this?" I asked.

"This is the box that has been passed down from many generations in the family." Grandma said. She placed a plate of Black Eyed Peas, rice and a piece of fried chicken on the table in front of me. "And, since you're a woman, now, it's your turn to keep it until you pass it down to your daughter or granddaughter."

"What is this necklace for?" I picked it up and examined it.

"A necklace that came with it. It's real silver, so don't lose it."

"So, who's was it originally?" I asked before eating a spoonful of black eyed peas.

"Isavelle Rodriguez." She smiled. "Of course she was your great great great grandmother, and so on. She loved walking around the forests. And, from what I heard, Isavelle found the box buried in the ground one day, so she kept it. After that, she married Ethan Milan, and when their daughter turned 15, Isavelle gave the box to her. The tradition continued on from there."

"Wow." I said. I had already finished my whole plate.

"Are you still hungry?" She asked. "I'll fix your another plate.

"No thanks."  I shook my head.

"Alright," She smiled. "You go upstairs and get cleaned up. It's only a quarter to Six. I'm going to clean up the kitchen."

"Okay." I grabbed the box and left the dining table. I went upstairs and opened the door to the room I once called mines. I stepped inside and closed the door. The big, brown dresser was still next to my medium sized bed. I had a tall mirror standing in front of the dresser, also. The closet was across the room and the Window I had was diagonal to it.

I smiled then looked at the box that Grandma gave me. I opened it and heard the lullaby playing again. I grabbed the silver necklace and looked at the liquid. It was still purple. I put it around my neck and looked in the small mirror.

To my surprise, my hair was perfectly straight. I had no cuts or scratches on my face as expected. Then, my eyes starting turning from a darkness brown to blood red--Just like the dream I had. Well, was it a dream?

I don't know. Now my eyes were completely red. Then, I looked down at the necklace and the liquid was blood red, too.

"What the heck?"

All of a sudden, the mirror shattered and I dropped the box.

"Are you okay in there?" Grandma asked from the other side of the door.

"Y-yeah." I said. "I'm about to take a shower."

"I put you a towel and a rag in there, already," She said. "And, A tee shirt."