Thirteen.

August 1st, 1992.

It was the first day of August and I sat in the living room with Isa as I listened to the sound of my party being set up in the ball room. My birthday was basically in two days and of course my parents had to be extra and send people to set the party up before they even got home.

I was dreading the fact that my parents were coming home today. Because of them, I had to return back to my boring life. To make things even more worse, I wouldn't need a babysitter now that they would he home, and that meant I wouldn't be able to see Isa as much.

Speaking of Isa, she sat across from me on the couch engrossed in the book that she was reading. She looked like such an Angel, just reading and minding her own business. Whenever I started to look at her, it seemed hard to stop.

I suddenly heard the front door swing open and I already knew that it was my parents. "Andreson?" I heard my mother call for me.

"I'm in the living room." I responded.

I heard the sound of her heels clicking against the floor and then she made her appearance in the living room. She flashed me a smile and I knew that she was most likely happy to see me, or she just had a good trip with my dad.

"Good morning, Mrs. Valdez." Isa greeted my mom warmly before giving her that beautiful smile. "How was your trip?"

I expected my mom to return the kindness to Isa, but instead she wrinkled her nose up in disgust like she had just seen a peasant. "May I ask why you are sitting on my couch?" My mom asked. "And, did you scrub the floors like I asked you to?"

I shot my mom a funny look, and the way that she was talking to Isa bothered me a little bit. I knew that my mom was snooty, but she didn't have any reason to treat Isa this way.

"I'm so sorry." Isa said as she got off of the couch. "And--"

"Yes, she did clean the floors." I interrupted Isa. "I'm sure you noticed how spotless it was when you came in."

"Good." My mom folded her arms and gave off a devilish smirk. "In that case, I want you to scrub them again. But make sure you start on the back lawn first."

Isa nodded her head and hurried out of the room like she was some kind of submissive house slave. I hated how my mom was throwing all this unneccesary work on her shoulders. I didn't think it was fair, and I promised myself that I was gonna help.

"I missed you so much, Andreson." My mom squealed as she pinched my cheeks. "Did that girl do everything that you asked of her?"

"Yes, mom." I groaned.

"Good!" She exclaimed as she cupped her hands together. "Dinner tonight will be divine. All of us together as a family again will be excellent."

"I know, right." I grinned. "I can't wait for you and dad to get to know Isamariá a little more."

My mom raised an eyebrow, "Isamariá? You mean..the worker?"

"Um..yes, mom." I said. "I guess so."

"No, honey." My mom laughed and put her hand on my shoulder. "She can eat on her own time."

"Oh..okay?"

She walked off and I decided that I would go and find Isa so I could help her clean up. I went straight to the backyard and Isa was already attempting to cut the grass by herself. I took off my shirt since it was so hot outside, and quickly went to Isa's side. "Let me cut the grass." I demanded. "You can go water the flowers or something."

"Don't you have your own gardener for that?" She questioned me with her eyebrow raised. "And, you should leave me alone. Your mother wanted me to cut the grass, remember?"