Self- Harm Awareness Day

A taboo topic

A taboo topic. Words not spoken and scars hidden, self harm is more common than some might think. the following is taken from the Young Minds website, a charity that offers support to young people and teenagers about mental health in the UK. If you have't been on their website before, i would recommend it. It is a fantastic charity and the work they do is invaluable.

1 in 12 children in the UK self harm, and the age of people doing it is now younger than ever before.

Self-harm is not a mental illness in it's own right, people can have the urge to do it for many different reasons, and it isn't an attempt to commit suicide.

Boys self-harm too, but they are much less likely to tell anyone about it.

Young people from all walks of life self-harm, regardless of their social or ethnic background.

Self-harm is not a fashion fad, nor is it merely 'attention seeking behaviour'.

Most importantly, it is not easy for a young person to stop self-harming behaviour.

The charities hope that the awareness campaign will get people talking and help to reduce the stigma attached to self-harming which prevents many young people from seeking help. You can follow the campaign on Twitter via #selfharm and find out more about the campaign on each of the charities websites.

About the Charities/Services

ChildLine offers children and young people aged 18 and under free, confidential advice and support 24 hours a day – no problem is too big or small. Our trained volunteer counsellors can be contacted through our helpline 0800 1111 or on www.childline.org.uk for online chat or email.

Selfharm.co.uk – Is a safe, pro-recovery website that supports young people who self-harm. It also offers training for parents, carers and professionals equipping them to handle disclosure and provide effective support.

YouthNet is the leading online charity behind TheSite.org, the online guide to life for 16-25 year olds. TheSite.org provides essential, straight-talking, anonymous advice to young people about the issues affecting their lives.  0207 250 5700 www.youthnet.org  www.thesite.org

YoungMinds - YoungMinds is the UK's leading charity committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people. YoungMinds provides a Parents' Helpline for any adult concerned about the mental health or wellbeing of a child or young person. 0808 802 5544 or www.youngminds.org.uk

Reference-

( YoungMinds(n.d)self-harm awareness day [online] Available at http://www.youngminds.org.uk/about/our_campaigns/self-harm_awareness_day )