Identity Crisis

Officer: Why don't you state your name for the record?

Suspect: Jason. Biggs.

Officer: Jason? *shuffles* Alright Jason. Is there anything I can get you? Food? Water?

Suspect: I'm fine, thank you officer.

Officer: Fair enough. Why don't we get started then? We are here to discuss the dispute with your roommate?

Suspect: I believe so.

Officer: Tell me about it.

Suspect: *exhales* What would you like to know?

Officer: Start when the conflict arose. When did it begin?

Suspect: Oh, it started as soon as I moved in.

Officer: What caused it?

Suspect: Ed was difficult to live with. He is... eccentric.

Officer: Ed is your roommate?

Suspect: Was. I doubt we will be living together anymore.

Officer: No, I wouldn't think so. *clears throat* What is Ed's full name?

Suspect: Ed Reeve.

Officer: And you knew him before living with him?

Suspect: No. I just transferred to the university here – I'm studying chemical engineering – and I found his ad online for a roommate. I just met him once briefly before signing the lease.

Officer: Hm. *taps pen* Describe Ed for me, will you?

Suspect: Ed was... I'm not sure how to explain it. Unhappy with himself? He seemed to take a fascination with me as soon as I moved in with him.

Officer: Fascination?

Suspect: Yes. Or maybe obsession is a better word.

Officer: And that bothered you?

Suspect: Near the end, but not so much at first. I thought it was funny at first, perhaps a little odd.

Officer: What types of things would he do?

Suspect: Well, he was clingy from day one. *scoffs* I spend most days at campus, and so whenever I was away he would send me a ton of text messages.

Officer: What types of things was he sending you?

Suspect: Lots of different things. Links to articles, videos, random messages telling me what he was up to or asking me when I would be back.

Officer: They were unwarranted?

Suspect: I certainly didn't ask for them.

Officer: Did you tell him to stop?

Suspect: No.

Officer: Why not?

Suspect: I felt bad, I guess. *leans back* I thought he was lonely. He spent pretty much all day at the apartment. I don't even know if he had any friends or not.

Officer: Uh-huh. How long did this persist?

Suspect: The texts alone? A week or so. I'm not sure, I just had my phone stop notifying me when he did it. I had school to worry about.

Officer: Right. Are there any activities that you know Ed was involved in during this time?

Suspect: Erm... not really. He was always trying some new hobby every day when I came home. You know, meditation, painting, tai-chi. He never took part in anything outside of the apartment. It was like... I don't know.