Ch. 3 - Double Agent

Start from the beginning

She looks at me like a child answering to her mother. In some ways, I feel responsible for her, as if I did bring her into this world. She has been my assistant for fifteen years and can definitely be called a familiar. She gives me a feeble smile and brushes it off as if it was just a small stain on her shirt.

"I had to make sure you would come," she says with confidence.

"Go home, Chelsea," I say, sternly. "Get some rest and spend time with your family."

She starts to stutter and I shake my head to disagree, stopping her from making other excuses. "I just don't know how to repay you sometimes. You know, for all the help you've given me."

"You can repay me by living. Now, go, run along."I dismiss her and turn my head to look back at the crowd around us and the gala that has quickly turned into a full party.

She nods and gives me a small but respectful curtsy before leaving the extravagant home. I eye her as she leaves - wouldn't want a supernatural creature to get her hands on her.

Music plays through the venue as if the world is about to end, but it is, in fact, quite the opposite. A new year has been born and humans have come to celebrate what they call a start of a new life. I feel the need to sneer at the disgusting vampires cramming against hot-blooded bodies dancing wildly among them. I want to shower them with holy water and twirl around their bodies until they disintegrate to the ground in ash.

I am greeted and called by the awful name I have acquired over the years as 'Vampire Queen'. I decline invites for drinks as I keep my eye on a particular vampire that has been roaming mysteriously in and out of the crowd. His distinct and identifiable appearance would fall into my vision but when I'd try to look closer, he would suddenly disappear.

I trail aimlessly around the old, marble building trying to spot the dismal old bat but he is nowhere to be found. I suppose that is one of his many talents.

I scowl with utmost resent and return to the distasteful party with a different agenda. I don't particularly like people, but I have many thoughts I'd like to say to them - just another reason why I chose to become an author. I can give my opinions and discreetly give out details of my life as they read a 'fabricated fantasy.'

"You look like you could kill," a voice says, from behind.

"I could start with you." I grit my teeth, knowing exactly who it is.

"But the night is so young, think of the things you could do." His voice is closer and the warmth from his body radiates through my silk dress. Someone has been sucking on necks. Valentine presses himself closer to and I shiver I feel my back against his wide chest and rock hard body.

"I could think of a few things." I turn to him, just before his fingers could touch my bare shoulders. "But none that concern you."

"You wound me." His tone is playful and a different pitch. I look up and our gazes meet - his dark hair is combed back with stray strands falling over his bright blue eyes.

"Have you been following me?" I accuse him.

He fixes his tie and replies, "I am just seeking a 'good time' as you all say in this dreaded country and looking for a meal within the highly favorable socialites. They are quite tasty."

His eyes flash with lust as he eyes my neck. He's in for trouble if he even thinks about touching me again. I just hope he isn't picking bodies and disposing them at random.

Valentine offers his arm out for me to take and I roll my eyes refusing to get that close to him. He gives me a stern look and I hook my arm around him as he leads me to a dark corner like the gentleman he was. It didn't take too long until we are far from the glitter and gold that seem to be crammed in every corner of the venue.