Chapter 20

I open my eyes to see myself in a familiar place.

I'm in the spirt world again. And I see four familiar people.

I see Kubo's parents, and my own.

My mom and dad both run up to me and wrap me in a warm and tight hug.

I return it.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Oh (Y/n)... I'm so sorry..." Dad says.

"You passed away, and one of Kubo's aunts managed to get into you. And they got your half..." Mom says.

"What about Kubo?!" I ask.

"He's still fighting. He really cares about you." Kubo's mom says.

I feel my heart drop because I passed away and Kubo is still out there fighting...

"How is Kubo?" I ask.

"He's fighting with a lot more power. But it won't last for long. There might be a way you can help him." His mom says.

"Mom, how did you come to me as a heron to help me in the manor?" I ask.

"I went to the god of the spirits here. He allowed me to be able to help just a bit." Mom says.

"How did you do it?!" I ask.

"Go off to the main palace here and you'll see him in the throne room." Mom says.

"Thank you!" I say.

Mom waves as I run off in the direction mom pointed to.

I reach the palace out of breath and legs aching. I run up the stairs and go through the big doors at the front.

I assume the doors in front of me with a fancy carpet running under it must mean the throne room is through there.

I open a door and walk inside.

I see a man sitting on a chair talking to a person sitting next to him. The man is wearing a nice kimono with several layers to show his status.

The person next to him leaves and the man in fancy robes looks at me.

"Hello (Y/n). I'm very sorry about what happened." The man says.

"How do you know my name?" I ask.

"Your mother told me about you. You're very strong you know that right?" He says.

"Is there any way I can go back to earth and help Kubo? Like how my mom turned into a heron and helped me."

"Unfortunately, I can't do that for you. Your mother died of an illness. Not because the magic in her spirit was taken." He says.

"So if I still had my magic..."

"I would be able to use that, to turn you into a golden heron and send you to earth." He says.

"Well, is there anything I can do?" I ask.

"Well, the god of fate is my brother. He probably knew that I wouldn't allow Kubo's aunts to go to earth to kill the living for selfish reasons. So he gave them his own way to get to earth. They don't have a physical form, their actual bodies are still here." The god of the spirits says.

"Well where are they?" I ask.

"That, I don't know. But if I had a clue, they would have to be near my brother." He says.

"Where does your brother live?" I ask.

"I do not permit you to run all the way there, so I will transport you to his palace. But once your there, you are on your own for what happens. If you get your magic back, come back here and I'll help you with what to do next." The god says.

"Thank you so much!"

The god motions for me to come closer. I go up to him and he hands me a pendant.

"Press this and you will be transported back here in an instant. Be careful."

"Thank you!"

The god places a hand on my shoulder and whispers something. I feel my body fade away and the setting changes.

Once my vision clears, I see myself in front of a very different place. A place that looks the sheer opposite of the god of the spirits palace.

I open the door and walk inside. I walk through another door into what I think is the throne room.

I see a man with fancy robes sitting on an extravagant throne. I walk up to him and take a breath to calm myself.

"Why did my brother send you here?" The god asks.

"How did you know?"

"Because his magic is all over you. How could I not tell?"

I gulp.

"Now I will ask once again. Why are you here?"

"You sent two people back to earth to retrieve something. I wish to know where their actual bodies are, here." I say.

"Why do you want to know?" He says with a terrible glare.

"I have something I think can help them as they retrieve that power."

Please believe my story...

"And why do you want to help them?" The god asks.

"I have admired them. It may not be common to like them, but I really admire their power. And I would like to be a part of their mission for power. I want to help them."

"Mmm... well, we'll see how you'll do. They are behind this curtain and down the hall. Careful now." The god says.

"Thank you."

I give a little bow, and I walk up to the curtain next to him. Walking behind it, I walk down a dark hallway and open the doors to another room behind it.

I see the two aunts, sitting next to one another, in a meditation like state.

Their physical bodies. Right here.

I feel the handle of my sword at my side.

Looking between the two I see something. A white orb hovering between them.

I tighten the grip of my hand around the handle.

I could just...

I take a step.

Right now...

I take another step and I start to pull out my sword.

They'd be gone. For real this time...

I take the sword out all the way, and I prepare to swing.