Chapter 2 - Orphan

Start from the beginning

Eventually, he’d left her abruptly. It wasn’t until later, when Ms. Selena revealed to Annabell that he’d demanded answers from her as well. The older woman hadn’t told him anything, but she’d advised Annabell to be careful. She wouldn’t tell anything else, leaving Annabell with more questions than answers.

Annabell shook her head, by the memory. Her knee itched, and she groaned when she realized that she had no chance to scratch it. Trying to distract her thoughts from her knee, she remembered the events that followed the Elder’s stay.

As soon as she had been able to walk again, she began researching the history of Astron. The most frustrating thing was that she couldn’t find anything unusual. She needed to know why they were suddenly so interested in her. It didn’t take many days before she realized that she needed to gain access to the oldest part of the library; only there would she have an opportunity to get her answers.

The librarian was stubborn though; Annabell had begged, pleaded and thrown hysteric fits for weeks, but to no avail. It was clear in the old wench’s eyes that she had no desire to have Annabell in her library, and certainly, not in the most expensive part. Only Elders, guardians and people of incredible wealth were allowed there, and even then always under supervision. 

If only I had stopped there, she thought regrettably.

One day, she’d waited in the library until after closing time. She slid down under one of the reading tables where she waited in hiding. For some reason, she’d been extremely unlucky. The table was old, and a splinter had scratched her eyebrow. 

Her plan would have worked—she had memorized the guards’ shifts. As soon as the time changed to seven pm, she would be all alone in between the old books.

When the guard put out the last light, she held her breath, waiting until she heard him lock the door from the outside. She fumbled to get her flashlight, but dropped it on the floor with a loud clash. The sound surprised her and echoed through the empty library, and she stood up, hitting her head on the tabletop. Wincing she held on her tender spot. Yep, a bump was forming already.

Stumbling to her feet, and steadying herself with a chair, she took in her surroundings. The flashlight had turned on and pointed in the directions of the stairs. Smirking to herself, she crept over to the light and held it tightly.

Making her way over to the stairs, she descended, systematically, ensuring that she wouldn’t fall. Mentally, she scolded herself to tread more carefully, to prevent making any sound.

The floorboards creaked with every step, and she decided to hurry and get it over with, instead.

Coming to a halt before the door, she took a moment to catch her breath before stepping inside. She could feel the adrenaline rushing through her body. This was illegal, and the risk of it all excited her even more.

She secured the flashlight around her wrist, and aimed the light at the floor. There was no need to be careless. One last exhale and she turned the doorknob and went inside the forbidden room.

Walking further in, she scanned the shelves. The books were dull, and they looked old and frail. All of their binding appeared wrecked and crumbled. Looking them over, she noticed that the paper was fading—almost transparent.

Her stomach clenched when the possibility that she wouldn’t find anything surfaced. Shaking it off, she checked the aisle sign. She was at the Towns Records. Walking past them and further down, she saw another row filled with the Laws of Astron. Skimming them; she wondered why these were off limit.

Granted, Annabell had never been adept at math. However, she couldn’t find anything even remotely useful among the numbers in these books. Growing frustrated, she changed directions and stepped over to an aisle called ‘The Five Legends of Astron’.