6

After the show, Tyler hugs me so hard. He starts to cry, and I'm rubbing his back, telling him it's going to be okay. He looks sad and tired, but also a little relieved.
Tyler needs me.
My throat tastes like metal.

And before I know it, the voices are back.

____________________________

I lay in the hotel bed, trying to deafen the hissing with a pillow. Tyler is talking to me, but I can't hear what he says.

"Come on, let's go celebrate. We had a crazy night, and this is the last show. Let's go out!" I say, sitting up and running my hands through my hair wildly.

Tyler looks at me. "I hate going out, you know that."

"I know, I'm just too wired to sleep, I need to get out and breathe some air."

"Well, go ahead. I'm just too tired, so i'll see you later then."

I nod and pull on a sweatshirt. Tyler watches me, his hands fidgeting.

"Are you sure?" I ask, looking one last time before I leave.

He is sitting on the bed next to mine. He has a black tshirt on and grey sweatpants, and his hair is wild. The light from the street lamp outside our window is lighting him up, and deepening the shadows in his face. He looks young, and almost ethereal. Too tan, too big lips, too small thumbs. Nose that swoops down like a ski slope, the nose that Jenna kisses before shows.

"Yeah, yeah it's cool. Have fun." He smiles.

I smile back, turn, and leave the room without a second thought.

Outside, it starts to rain.