01. Chapter One

She sat naked before me, her eyes bare and her soul leaked out like streaming chords being strummed from a violin. Who was I not to fall in love with her broken?

The dark make-up she wore, the split ends she paraded and the vague aloofness she displayed. She was the opposite of art and I was attracted to it all. I held her close and watched as she flinched under my soft touch, she wasn't always eager to be touched but she let me. She let me hold her, she let me touch her, she let me into her lone life and I appreciated it all.

The Willow's welcomed me into their home and Anna welcomed me into her mind, her soul, her heart.

I had never known anyone to be this ...

Even now, I can't explain what she was like. She was disparate.

Anna held this figurative appearance of a high wall, which I was ready to climb even if she added more bricks to keep me from seeing her. I knew she craved the love I searched to give when I saw those poignantly chilled eyes. She would fight you with this pretense to see if you were willing to stay.

Literally she was wintery, paleness engulfed her skin and as I held her close all I felt was the breeze of the pacific. I remember imagining her hands tracing the edges of my body and turning them into giant waves of my heartbeat rolling, beating against my chest and hitting the shores of my blood pumping wildly at high tide through my vines.

With it splashing on the sands of my ribcage and returning to heighten everything in my untrimmed chest.

It felt just as I imagined and more as I drowned in the universe she gave me.

With. Just. One. Hug.

Nobody would want to be with someone who would kill them slowly and that's why I wanted to be with her, I knew she would bring me life over and over again.

She played music from the Bluetooth speaker that sat on the varnished dresser a few feet away from the edge of her single bed. We were young yes, but did that mean that the world should deny us the love we felt for one another?

Anna became my life, before she took it away.