Chapter 21- Girly Shit

Start from the beginning

     "Come in," I croaked, lifting my head a little. She smirked.

     "As if you had a choice," she teased. She wasn't at all phased by my appearance, which I'm sure wasn't on the pretty side of the scale.

     "Let's go explore!" she smiled,"I want someone to show me around!"

     "Maybe later. I don't really feel well," I told her, resting my head on the pillow.

     "Come onnnnn. I know you fought with Carl but don't let it get you down! Sure, life's a living hell, but you have me to bring eternal sunshine into your life!" she teased, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

     "Help me up," I whined, throwing my hand up in the air. She grabbed it and gave a huge tug, dragging me to my feet and then some. I stumbled to keep my balance and she began to drag me out by my arm. I managed to stop her to let me write a quick note before we left. 

     When we were maybe a quarter of a mile from the prison, it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't go out into the dangerous world with only a small Swiss Army Knife and a girl who'd just joined our group. It didn't help that she'd talked about killing a girl when she'd arrived at the prison. It wasn't seeming so funny anymore.

     We talked about all sorts of random things, mainly Jeff the Killer. She was another of his admirers and we high-fived when we found out we both had a thing for psychopaths. It wasn't a very good trait to have when a large percentage of the people left in the world are psychos.

     We were up in a tree giggling and trying to coax squirrels over to us, maybe a mile from the prison, when voices came into hearing range. We froze before exchanging the "oh shit" look. I crumpled back against the trunk of the tree and she inched out of sight.

     "I'm just saying, it's not like the infected are alive. I don't know why you feel so bad about killing them," came a girl's voice. She sounded happy, like she was with someone she cared about. She was definitely teasing them, but in a cutesy way.

     "I don't know. It's just sad," A deeper voice said. 

     "Whatever Finn, you're just afraid of them," the girl teased. I could see them now from my position. The girl had stick straight, dirty blonde hair. She walked with a major limp. I cringed at the thought of what may have caused it. She looked to be a few years older than me. The boy looked my age, maybe a year older. His hair was a chestnut brown. He must've been her brother, as it was so rare to find couples now. They both had hunting knives and from what I could see, the girl had a pistol.

     They faded off into the distance as they kept walking, chatting  about the walkers along with more normal subjects. Nat and I stayed frozen for a while. When she moved, I moved as well. I climbed back down the tree and she followed shortly after.

     "So, uh. That was the girl I thought I killed," Nat said, smiling nervously,

     My mind blanked, "What?" I deadpanned. That couldn't be right.

     "I may have given her that nice little limp," Nat smirked.

     "Nice job,"I congratulated her about the limp, before asking,"why did you make our lives so much harder by trying to kill her?"

     "She tried to run off with all of our supplies for a fourth time. A fourth time! I gave her an extra chance! So when I caught her I sliced her thigh and left. We'd always pretty much hated one another anyway."

     I glanced at the sky, noticing how dark it was becoming.

     "We have to go back, so I guess we'll just have to keep quiet and hope we can avoid them," I told her. She nodded and we started off on the journey home, talking in low voices and stifling laughs.

     We were nearly halfway home when a crack of a twig came from our right. I spun, tugging my Swiss Army Knife from my belt and staring through the trees.

     Nat made a small squeak and stepped away from the noise instinctively. Then, she toughened up and pulled out a kitchen knife. It wouldn't do very much, but at least it looked threatening. Unless she was planning on chopping so many onions it dehydrated their bodies via their eyes. In that case, it would've been the perfect weapon.

     A thin, bony squirrel scampered down from a tree and we both breathed a sigh of relief. It stared at us, contemplating whether to go near us, before bounding away.

     "Damn squirrels are scary," I breathed. Nat laughed and agreed, starting to walk further towards the prison.

     "Believe me, Carl doesn't want to be seen as weak in any way. So he'll boss you around if it means he seems strong," Nat told me, trudging onward. We had to be close to the prison.

     "But he doesn't seem strong. He seems like an asshole," I told her calmly. I was getting more and more frustrated as we talked more about Carl, but I needed help with the issue, so I kept myself patient.

     "Look! We're finally here," she purred in satisfaction, pointing toward the prison, shutting her eyes, and happily dancing around. I snorted as she belly danced around me, her eyes closed the whole time. When she tripped due to her lack of vision she reverted back to walking like a normal person. 

     Nat and I were walking in silence when a needle seemed to press into my back.  I stopped and Nat did the same. I flinched as the tip of the needle dug into my back and glanced over at Nat, about to snap at her for digging whatever that was into my back. Instead of scolding her, I shuddered. Her eyes were wide and afraid like a puppy hearing the vacuum cleaner for the first time. There was a pistol pressed against the back of her head.

     "Fucking move and I'll blow a hole in your head," the same girl, seeming much scarier now, snarled from behind us.

~Author's Note~

Eheh

Eheh heh

*Sobs*

Sooo here's the chapter. Thanks for waiting so long! I am enjoying this plot twist very much. Yes indeed I am.

We are getting incredibly close to the end of the book. 

Oh lord.

Love all of my giraffes<3

Voting is cool.

K I'm going to SLEEEEEP

~Julia