Escape

The grass caresses my paws, the dew sparkles like diamonds across an emerald field. I pull the tattered cloak more tightly around me. Shame it had to be the only thing I had found to grab, for the night was quite cold. At least I was able to pack a few of my things. Im tired of father telling me what to do. Shutting me away from the world. Running away is the only option I can think of. One step, freeze. I twitch an ear. A owl hoots. Another step. I try to calculate how far Blooming's den will be. Everything seems stranger in the dark. Still and cold, as if someone had laid a blanket over the earth, silencing it into darkness. I shiver and take a few more steps until I am in the shadows of the broad maple tree. The branches curve upward like strong arms, grasping at the sky with fluttering green leaves at the tips of gnarled fingers. This tree is my safe tree. The tree I climb when I want to be alone. This tree seems to reach to the clouds. When I climb it, I feel alive. Now, my fur brushes the bark, my breath stirs a leaf as I sink my claws into the branch and let it heave me up into the heights. My heart soars. Just one moment up here is enough to make my heart pound. But under the stars, my breath is taken away. I think of Blooming, of Prancing and mother. I think of the cold dark room, alone. A single tear makes it's way down my cheek. I blink, blinded by the tears in my eyes, sparkling silver in the moon's light. There is no time to cry. I must find Blooming, we must make a plan. I can't bear living here anymore.
It's very frightening to walk alone in the darkness. I wish I had a phone like father, to jamagram Blooming. But he says I am too young, and I might use it wrong. The wind begins to blow as I reach the border to our estate. The high stone wall scrapes at the sky. I find the escape tree, a old walnut that curves over the wall. It only takes a few seconds till I am on the wall. I feel the breeze buffet my fur, making me feel victorious. I hope father has not figured out I have left yet. If he catches me now, there are no second chances. I take a breath and hop down the branch off the side of the wall. I have only been on this side twice. Never have I dared to venture further then the patch of grass. Father says phantoms lurk in this land. It's called The Temple of Zios. I shiver at the name. Does the ghost of Zios roam about those trees? I can almost believe the wind is the whispering of spirits. Shaking off my fear, I pull out the piece of parchment that was tucked under my bow belt. I unfold it, making out the faint charcoal marks in the moonlight. Its our escape plan. Blooming and I made this for emergencies. Her house is the little red dot, and mine is the blue. Prancing's is a little green one, far off on the side of the paper. I have to admit, we've never used it, but that is about to change. I trace a claw over the parchment. Blooming's den is right on the border of Jamaa Township. I get a tingle of excitement, will I get to see the township? My heart a little lighter, I step towards the forest, following the well worn path into the darkness. Its a lot scarier in the forest. The trees and ruins make dark shadows that remind me of phantoms. Was father being serious? I brace myself and clutch my bow. I've never actually seen a phantom. Father says they put you in a deep sleep, and it there is no revive portal; you'll die in your sleep. I wonder if my wooden arrows will kill a phantom. The hand carved stone tips might. The thought stays with me as I venture farther. Suddenly, something sharp and painful snags my ankle. I shriek as I'm thrown to the ground, dirt filling my mouth. The loop around my ankle tightens as I try to pull free. I yell in pain, my voice echoing emptily in the darkness. In the moonlight, I can see the thorned vine, pulled tightly around my back leg. Crimson liquid drips through my fur. I growl in frustration and sit up, grasping the vine in my jaws. One sharp tug tightens it, and I gasp in pain.
"Help! Help!" There is no answer to my cries. I suddenly wish I hadn't left. The darkness closes in around me, and I hear a crackle of electric. My heart jumps and I snatch my bow, clutching it tightly in my paw. There's a faint blue glow as I see the gleam of an eye. My gasp gets caught in my throat as I scramble backwards, the vine tugging sharply at my leg. Its a phantom! The ghostly creature is even more horrifying than I'd imagined. It blinks it's huge eye, bolts of blue light circling its small black body. I let out a fearful sob. I wish I would've never left. Then, another phantom appears, and another. They rise into the air above me, and begin floating into a circle. I am confused. Is this a attack formation?
"Hey you!" At the voice the phantoms plunge away into darkness. I let out a breath. A figure strides through the darkness towards me. It's a wolf. A young wolf with a grey pelt and brown markings. Around his neck hangs a fancy brown long spiked collar and a pirate sword is buckled around his chest. I cower back, raising my bow and aiming it at him.
"Whoa whoa," he steps back, raising a paw, "It's okay, I won't hurt you," his voice is kind. I sit up and put down my bow.
"Can you help me? I got stuck in this vine and then there were phantoms and..." I sniffle helplessly. The wolf looks at my leg and back to me. He leans down and raises the vine to his teeth. I wince as it tugs painfully. The vine snaps under his sharp fangs. I scramble to my paws, falling again as pain shoots through my ankle.
"Ah, you can't walk on that," the wolf says. I sit down in frustration.
"Lick it, it'll stop the bleeding and clean it."
I blink at him and give a lick to my ankle. A sticky metallic taste floods my mouth. I try to ignore it.
"Stay here, I'll be right back," the wolf turns to leave.
"Wait! Don't! What about the phantoms?" I watch as he disappears into the undergrowth. Shivering, I pull my cloak around me. A couple seconds later he's back, padding towards me with a bundle of leaves in his mouth. He spits them out put at my feet,
"Healing herbs, to help your leg." I blink, this wolf's a doctor? He sits down, picking a leaf in his mouth and chewing it. I watch in silence, and growing disgust. He spits it onto the other leaf.
"Hate the taste of that," he spats over his shoulder. I'm about to ask why he chewed it in the first place when he lifts up the leaf,
"Healing salve," he holds out a paw as a gesture for me to let him put it on my ankle. I'm skeptical, father says I should not trust strangers. But there's something about this wolf that makes me want to trust him. As if I already know he's trustworthy. I lift my ankle. He wraps the leaf covered in chewed up leaf over it. I grit my teeth at the pain.
"There," he steps back. I look down at my leg. Its wrapped tightly in leaves and already feels much better.
"Thank you," I finally have the courage to for go the proper manners.
"Yeah sure," he stands up, "by the way, you don't have to be afraid of those phantoms you saw," he points his chin towards where I'd saw them rise,
"They don't attack you. They appear when you sleep around the fallen Zios mask,"
I stare at him. I'd heard and read of this place! Strange that I've never heard of phantoms rising from it when you sleep by it.
"The name's Major Daring Claw, my friends call me Mage."
I nod respectfully,
"Ember Magic Flower,"
Mage suddenly freezes,
"As in, princess Ember?" His eyes widen in disbelief. I nod. He looks frantic and helps me suddenly to my paws,
"We have to go."
I pull away,
"Hey!" Is he gonna kidnap me now that he knows I'm the princess? He's even stupider then I'd thought.
"Come on! Its not safe here!" He glances into the forest warily. I suddenly feel scared. If this strong wolf is scared, should I? He holds out a paw,
"Please, trust me,"
I hesitate, then nod, grabbing his paw.
What I didn't know, is that life had just become so much more complicated.

Heyo readers!
Sorry for this late update! I'll be updating a lot of my stories today. This was a really long chapter holy cheese!
1543 words!
Is that too long?
Tell me if you guys would like longer or shorter chapters, or if you like then around the normal 1000 words.
Also, why do you think Ember trusts Mage?
Who do you think he is, and what is he afraid of?
Predict in the comments below!
Until next time jammers!
-Sky