Chapter Three

I followed this second lady, across reception, and down a corridor into a small room...

This lady was actually quite similar to the receptionist, she was very small and thin. She had short hair in a neat bob, although it was just scraped back, she had big glasses that framed her face beautifully. 

'Please, sit down on the bed, this could take quite a while...'

I followed my instructions, perched myself on the bed, and slipped my bag on the floor. I leant against the wall and crossed my legs. 

'So... Where to start.... Miss Herford?'

'Please, call me Effie.'

 I looked at her, she sat at her desk, writing out notes, presumably creating a file for me, 

'Okay, Effie... Where to start? Why are you here?' 

'Don't you have my notes? There really isn't need to repeat for the thousandth time surely...' 

'Yes, I do have your notes, however, I strongly feel that one can only start to understand you, by talking to you directly, not what someone else wrote about you... So please.' 

'Well..

In short, I hit a really low point, started taking my emotions out on myself... By erm... I sometimes go crazy and say/do weird stuff... I got so low and hated myself so much, that I decided to kill myself. I wrote a note, planned it. I took a piece of rope to the woodlands, where my dead horse is buried, tied it to a tree and attempted to well.... Hang myself. I failed, and now hear I am...' 

'Okay, Effie, that make's sense. How long have you been this low?' 

'Seven weeks now....' 

'And you mentioned crazy episodes?'

'Yea, sometimes I start to feel really weird, my mind over-works, and as a result, I'll say or do some weird, random shit.' 

'Ah, okay...' 

'Obviously, one of the slightly more greater issues I am aware of, is your self-harm, and honestly, I know people hate talking about it, and that's fine. I won't ask unless you particularly wish to discuss it?'

I just paused and looked at Mrs Andson. She definitely appeared on a similar wavelength, which was really comforting. Problem was, I could feel myself starting to lose it again, going mad, and in turn, she could see this too. 

'Effie, lie down. Your brain is starting to overwork.' 

I looked at her, my eyes wide.

'Trust me Effie... I get in. Lie down.'

I'm not sure why I did, but I did. I laid down and started to breathe deeply. 

'Effie, there's a lot you'll learn here at Riverside. There's a lot for you to know and understand. Much I can't explain yet you'll soon learn with time. Routines etc.' 

I nodded. 

'Obviously, the point of our meeting now is for me to assess your mental state, decide the care for the next seventy-two hours, and your level of vulnerability...

See here, there are three different levels, in this meeting we need to decide which to put you on.... 

There's level one, which is the standard, you get your own room, with an ensuite, you have to comply with the daily routine etc. Your assessed weekly, and when you're redeemed as stable, you'll be allowed to leave. You're given a large say in your care, which we hope you'd respect.