Chapter 10. The world outside the Junkyard.

The sun blazed high in the sky, typical for this time of year, but the Jellicles on the 'expedition' had no time to relax and soak up the warmth of the beating rays today, the pipe leading out of the yard onto the long road was out of sight. The black and gold queen who was leading the group paused just before the opening.

"How on Earth are we going to know where to go once we get out there?"

"Valid point, I bet few cats have tried to find Macavity's hideout." Tugger mused lightly.

"Don't blame 'em." Mungojerrie scoffed.

"We just need a map." Caligo stated with a matter-of-fact tone. Quickly, she balled her paws together and a hue of green surrounded the grey fur. As it faded, she unraveled her paws and blooming like a flower a map appeared. It was small but it showed them exactly where they needed to go.

"Hang on, how did you manage to conjure a map of the whole area and it clearly shows Macavity's whereabouts?" Skeptically, Tugger hissed. The dark queen chuckled lowly, the Tugger had every right to be cautious and he would probably learn things on this hunt that would terrify even him.

"If you can recall I have a history with that fiend. I created this map with my knowledge." She explained calmly. Deciding not to probe the magical queen any further, the Tugger gave a curt nod which she returned. Caligo handed the map to Demeter so she could decide their route.

Examining each detail and route carefully, Demeter traced her claw along s track. "OK, once we've exited the pipe, we'll follow the main road up to the railway line and when we have crossed that we'll enter the roaming grounds." She mumbled thoughtfully.

"Looks decent, aftah you Deme." Mungojerrie grinned. She folded the map into a neat little square and then handed it to Tugger which he then tucked it carefully into his leather glove. Rapidly, Demeter rolled head first down the pipe followed by Bombalurina, Caligo, Jerrie and Mistoffelees. For a moment, Tugger lagged behind and took one last glance at the towering heights of the Junkyard.

"I will miss this place..." With that he dove through the pipe to meet the others at the other end.

For protection, there had always been a sturdy wooden board propped up by several bricks at the end. Being the strongest of the group, Tugger, Bomba and Jerrie hauled the bricks to one side before pulling the wood away, one by one they climbed out into the dry ditch where water pools in the colder months. The long main road was a short walk to the right. After Bombalurina replaced the wood to its place they set off through the long grass until they reached the base of the flint wall. Easily, each Jellicle leaped up onto the wall and then hopped down onto the pavement the other side.

"Y'know it feels weird leavin' the yard but not goin' back to me humans." Mungojerrie grunted, his usual grin was no longer present upon his muzzle, much like the others who had human homes.

"Don't worry handsome, we'll be back to our humans in no time!" Bomba enthused as she put on a brave face. The calico nodded eagerly before cracking a joke to lighten the mood.

*

It had been many hours since the troop had left, there was almost a mournful atmosphere hanging over the Yard. Jellylorum had gathered all of the kittens and a few of the troublesome young adults into the nursery to keep them out of the way; so now Zelda, Hariena, Callus, George, Etcetera, Electra, Pouncival and Rumpleteazer were all inside the den munching on snacks. The older queen herself was tending to some organic ointments Jennyanydots had mixed earlier that week, she was humming a faint tune which Etcetera instantly picked up on.

"Oh Ma, the ballad..." Cettie mumbled in awe. Jelly nodded and smiled as she continued.

"Heaviside, I don't remember the last time you sung that." Pouncival meowed through a mouthful.