Chapter 4. Fun and games.

The protector of the Jellicle tribe slipped out through the pipe that was mainly used as the yard entrance. Munkustrap blinked a couple of times as his eyes adjusted to the daylight on the other side. A long stretch of road separated the yard from the rest of the industrial area, it travelled right through to the village about a mile down. The Tom began to pace the length of the wall wall next to the pipe and he couldn't help but grumble at his younger brother's irresponsibility.

"This is meant to be his patrol!" The tabby hissed. "'C'mon Munkus, give me some duties, I can handle them!'" Munkustrap mimicked, through all this he had to admit though that over the past few years the Rum Tum Tugger had matured quite a lot; he had taken on guardian duties alongside Alonzo, Admetus and Plato but he still had his moments. Tugger could be caring, he could be protective but he was a player, slacker and tended to drift a lot. As the silver tabby passed under the shade of a tree, he thought back to the debacle of his triplet's birth...

*

Autumn was coming to an end and winter was right around the corner, the wind outside howled and the rain was bitterly cold. Demeter laid alone on the backseat of the automobile, one golden paw was rested on her swollen abdomen feeling the movements of lie within. Jennyanydots had said it would be anytime soon, this had caused Munkustrap to be reluctant to leave her side, but after a full morning of persuasion, she ushered him on to his duties. Now she was relaxing in peace, listening to the rain drops patter down onto the metallic machine she had taken refuge in. But that calm serenity was soon disturbed, a pain bloomed from inside of her causing a low grumble to arise in her throat.

"Oh Heaviside..." Demeter murmured, she tried to rise to her feet but the pain coaxed her back down. She hissed through her fangs as she glanced down at the bump. "You couldn't have waited until daddy was home?!"

Outside, the Rum Tum Tugger and Bombalurina were making their rapid way across the yard to escape the rain but as they passed the automobile Tugger paused, his ear swivelled around as it picked up on an unusual growl.

"Did you hear that?" He whispered to the scarlet queen beside him. Her smile quickly faded as she listened herself.

"Yeah.." She muttered, her own ears now twitching. "That's Demeter!" Immediately, Bomba leapt up onto the trunk of the car before diving through the back window, Tugger followed right behind. Sure enough there on the backseat laid Demeter growling in pain. Her claws dug into the old leather seat and the tip of her tail curled.

"Where in hell is Munk?!" Tugger screeched.

As the bout of pain subsided, Demeter managed to glance up. "On duty." She croaked.

"We need to get you to Jenny and Jelly." Seriously, Bombalurina meowed as she helped her dear sister to sit up.

"What about Munkus?" Demeter whined, her paw was still planted against her abdomen.

"Tugg, you'll have to carry her to Jenny and Jelly, I'll go find Munk." The scarlet queen wasted no time in hurrying out of the window. Nervously,, Tugger gulped as he crouched down to lift the laboring queen. Demeter winced with a groan as she shifted about in the younger tom's arms.

"Sorry!" Tugger mewed.

"Just go!" Demeter yowled. With that sharp command, the Tugger carefully climbed out of the car and slid down the trunk. The cold rain spattered down on the pair, flattening their coats. The tom kept his speed to a minimum trying not to jolt Demeter in his arms. Once they got to the nursery entrance, Tugger pushed aside the curtain and gratefully stepped into the warmth.