Chapter 20: Birthday Present

Start from the beginning

My eyes turn back to Nathan. He's currently smiling at me. "Where are we?" I ask him.

He finally let's go of my face, but I miss the warmth that it gave my cheeks.

"Welcome to Bear Mountain, mami," he says smirking. He gets out of the van and turns around. "Get on my back."

I hop onto his back and slap his face lightly. "Just call me 'Minnie Mouse', dumbass," I mumble.

Then I wrap my arms around his neck and rest my head on his shoulders.

I hear a few twigs break at his feet, as we make our way to the cabin. Everyone is there.

     "She's finally awake, guys," Nathan announces, as he steps into the cabin.

     I stare in awe at the cabin.

     "This is adorable," I whisper

     "Just like you," Nathan says under his breath.

     I smile at the little compliment.

     "Nathan are we staying here for the night?" Gemma asks, as she sits on one of the couches.

     "That's my plan," Nathan says, adjusting me on his back.

"So we're missing a day of school?" Princess asks, sitting at the dining table.

"Yea," Nathan replies, as he shrugs his shoulders.

She raises her arms in the air. "That's fine with me."

"Same," I say.

~

After setting up our stuff at the cabin, we went on a walk. After that, we headed back and ate dinner.

So, we're currently roasting marshmallows in front of a campfire as the sun slowly set behind the mountains in the distance.

"I'll go get the chocolate bars," I tell them, making my way back inside.

I grab a few boxes and turn around. Nathan just exited the bathroom and his eyes are on me.

I watching his eyes travel down and then make its way back up. My face is heating up as I realize I'm only wearing my shorts and his hoodie.

As his eyes meet mine, he smirks. "You look hot in my hoodie."

I shrug my shoulders, trying to pretend that my heart isn't beating so fast right now. "I look hot in everything."

     He lets out a laugh and makes his way over to me. "So what are you doing?"

     I hold up the boxes. "Getting the chocolate."

     "Well, let's go," Nathan says, taking my hand and leading him outside.

     I realize the sky is getting darker, as the sun casts a golden glow around itself.

     "Finally," Derek groans. "I need chocolate in my s'mores."

     I set the box on the table and take the chair beside Bella. "I'm so tired," she says to me, wrapping a red fluffy blanket around herself.

     "Me too," I tell her, putting on the hood over my head.

     I feel someone sit beside me in my chair. I turn to Nathan, as he stares at the phone on his hand.

     I rest my head on my hand and stare at him. "What are you doing?"

     He looks up at me and smiles adorably. Like, it was the cutest shit I've ever seen. "There's not enough seats."

     I nod my head and lean against him. "I hope you don't mind, but I'm tired."

     I freeze when he starts stroking my hair, a reaction that I didn't expect from him.

     "I don't mind," he says softly.

     I immediately relax as his fingers comb through my hair, and I snuggle into him. It's what I do when I'm tired as fuck.

     "Y'all are so cute," I hear Bella state loudly.

     "Thanks, boo," I say jokingly, still resting myself on Nathan.

     ~

     Quiet crackling sounds from the campfire can be heard as I lay beside Nathan in our chair. Everybody is inside right now, probably sleeping. But Nathan and I were the only ones that wanted to watch the stars.

     "Isn't it beautiful?" I ask softly, staring at the bright stars above us.

     "It is," Nathan replies.

     Living in the city, it's rare finding even one star in the sky, so this is really exciting for me.

     "Happy birthday, Nathan," I say, as I turned my head to face him.

I'm surprised to see him already staring at me. "Thanks, Opal," he whispers, as he gives me a smile.

And then I realize something. "Shit," I mumble, quickly sitting up.

He sits up, too. "What?" He asks, clearly concerned.

I give him a sheepish look. "I didn't get you a birthday present," I say quietly.

I watch a smile grow on his face, as if he's about to laugh. "I already told you, you're the only birthday present I need."

     "No, I'm being serious. I should've gotten you a birthday present," I tell him. I always get presents for my friends, and Nathan is definitely more than a friend.

     I feel my heart skip a beat as he gently grabs the side of my face in his palms, just like he did earlier today.

     The soft glow of the fire place makes his green eyes look mesmerizing.

     "I'm going to repeat this one more time," he says, and I notice he looks slightly nervous. "You're the only birthday present I need."

     And then I stop breathing. Every word that left his lips replay in my head.

     All I can do now is stare at his face, wondering if he's joking or not.

     But I get my answer when he pulls my face closer to him, and his lips meet mine.

_________________________

A/N: heyyy 😛
i ended up writing this chapter in one day, so congratulate me. please 😅
I'm also kinda proud of this one

i hope you enjoyed this it, and if you didn't, that's totally fine, too 😌

(random) I'm doing pretty okay in school right now with an A- in geometry 😭

please leave feedback if you can and I LOVE YOU GUYS 💓

See you in the next chapter

-Holly Osgood ❤️

•if you enjoyed it•
•don't forget to vote•