Chapter 24: It Hurts

It Hurts

     The world is spinning. The most important people in my life, who I thought were fucking dead, are standing right in front of me.

I'm speechless.

Quiet sniffles break the silence. All eyes turn their attention to Ruby, who's crying softly behind- behind my father.

Seeing her cry immediately breaks something inside me. I've been crying my heart out for a dead girl who's still alive, and I missed almost half of her life.

With all the pain I was feeling, I decide to run out of the house. I don't don't know why, but I did. I hear the rest of my family calling after me, but I force myself to ignore them.

I make my way to the park. I reach one of the benches and collapse onto the seat. I'm breathless.

I pull out my phone and try to call Bella, but it goes straight to voicemail. I let out a groan of frustration and call the next person on my mind. Nathan.

After the first and second ring, I felt nervous. It made me realize that I really wanted to talk to someone right now.

After the fifth right, someone answers.

"Hey, Minnie Mouse."

"Hey," I say to the phone trying to play it cool. But I mentally slap myself when my voice cracks.

"You okay?" He asks, as his whole mood seemed to have changed.

I feel tears stinging my eyes, and I let out a sigh. "Nathan, I'm at the park," I tell him in a quiet voice.

"I'll be right there," he says quickly, and he hangs up.

     I sit silently in the night, waiting for Nathan.

     "Opal?"

     I quickly look up, anxious to see who it is. But I feel my hopes drop when I see Vince Wellis.

"What are you doing here?" I mumble, as I turn away from his gaze.

"I can ask the same for you," he responds, slowly closing the distance between us.

I run my fingers through my hair. "I would appreciate it if you leave."

     "Why?" He asks, attempting to take a seat beside me.

I quickly stand up. "If you're not gonna leave, than I'm gonna leave."

He holds onto my wrist and I immediately try to yank him away. "The fuck, bitch. Let go."

"Opal, listen to me," he says firmly. "I think I still have feelings for you."

I let out a cold laugh. "And I think I don't really give a fuck. So let go, bitch."

I feel my wrist start to sting as Vince pulls me closer to him. His eyes glare into my soul, scaring the shit out of me.

His mouth opens, as if he's about to say something, when a fist interrupts him. I take the opportunity to yank my hand away.

Strong arms wrap around me, and my face is pushed against a firm body. The sweet smell of apples enter my nose.

I immediately recognize the presence as Nathan.

I snuggle closer, feeling save in his arms.

He pulls away. "Are you okay?"

I nod my head and run my fingers through my hair.

"Opal," I hear behind Nathan. "Just listen to me."

"Fuck you," I respond to Vince. He's laying on the ground, holding his jaw in pain.

I grab Nathan's hand and lead him back to his house.

The walk is silent. For a while.

"What happened?" He asks, holding my hand firmly.

"Can I stay at your place?" I ask right after his question.

"Of course you can. But Opal, what happened?"

I shake my head. "It's so messed up."

He lets out a sigh and stops.

I turn back at him with a glare and try to pull him forward. "C'mon, let's go."

He lets go of my hand and holds the sides of my face, making me look into his green eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asks in a low voice.

Although it's dark outside, I can see the little sparkle in his eyes.

"I'm fine-"

"Are you okay?" He repeats.

I leave his gaze and turn my attention to a tree in the distance. "My dad came to visit."

He's quiet for a moment. "Y-your dad?"

I nod my head. "My little sister, too," I add, my voice slightly cracking.

In a swift motion, I turn to face him again. "Do you know what it feels like to miss almost half of your little sister's life?"

His eyes widen, and he opens his mouth to reply. But I stop him.

"Do you know how much it hurts, Nathan?" I ask. "And to think I was stupid for crying all those nights over a dead girl that was still fucking alive."

There's tears running down my face. They're cold, but it somehow feels refreshing. A few fall onto my lips, and I take in the salty taste.

     Nathan's hand reaches out to my face to wipe away the tears. "It's okay-"

     "It's not okay," I interject.

     "It will be okay," he says. "I promise."

     I stare at him for a few moments. "Promise?"

     My voice is soft and quiet, almost suffocated by my tears.

     He pulls me into a warm hug, and I rest my forehead on his shoulder.

     "I promise, Minnie Mouse."

_________________________

A/N: hi there 🔆
I hope you liked this chapter.
If you didn't, that's fine too 😅

Leave feedback if you can and I LOVE YOU ALL 💓

See you in the next chapter ✌️

-Holly Osgood ❤️

•if you enjoyed•
•don't forget to vote•