This revelation strengthened the possibility that the perpetrator was aiming the princess’ wedding, solidifying Mira’s theory that it’s a personal attack, Eve thought.

“Did you tell anyone about the Princess’ whereabouts?”

“Not a soul, not even my wives or my Sora.”, he said in serious eyes. “I know your reputation Lieutenant, and I believe Roarke have shared some things to you about myself and our family. It’s Harminian nature to have a mild distrust to outsiders, given our culture and country’s history, but you’ve saved my sister and you’re trying to solve the murder of our consul. That’s why you have all my cooperation and my blessings.”

Afef said something similar, about having an ethnocentric view, same with the households when she asked for their cooperation.

She’s also aware of the Prince’s connection to Roarke, but she stuffed it in the back of her mind to avoid biased views.

“You’re not inclined to Levinski?”

“The reason why I favoured my sister to marry that American mogul was to ensure her safety only.”, Prince Lamook explained. “We only shared the same father, but she’s no different from my direct siblings. I’ve lost them, same with Mother, and I don’t want to have another family member to be killed again.”

“Any ideas of possible revenge from the princess’ old flames?”

“I don’t think so. She has a lower dowry, so there are no tight competitions for her hand.”

This means he’s not aware about Kyrios, and his relationship with Petun.

“Maybe it’s on Levinski’s?”, the prince suggested.

“He’ll be lucky if there’s a woman, besides his mother, who would kill for his affection.”

Lamook gave a low laugh. “Honestly speaking, I don’t like that guy for Petun, but Father only sees money, so he immediately gave him his blessing. I only supported and convinced Petun afterwards because I see an opportunity for her to escape, and living in New York would be her ticket. I never realized she’ll be facing another one here.”

Eve never had a family or any blood relatives, so she didn’t know the feelings of a brother towards its sibling. “What’s your father’s say about this?”

“He only sees himself, and the desires of pleasure like money and fame. He’s hedonistic by nature, and existed by the quote ‘live and be merry for tomorrow you will die’.”, he snickered. “I’m not only slandering my own father but our King as well, yet who am I to blame? Do we, as children, must always obey our parents even we knew there were wrong?”

Eve did not answer.

His knuckles grew white as he gripped the edge of the sink. “I hated him, no – I despised him to the bone. If only I didn’t have a fear in our gods and the karma, I’ll gladly use my own hands to strangle him till death. But I can’t, because in the end of the day, he’s still my father. And I know that an act like that would gnaw my conscience for the rest of my life.”

“You made a right choice, Prince Lamook.”, Eve muttered, remembering her past.

She felt a thrill of joy when she struck a knife to her father who had raped her, killing him eventually, and she knew she did for her freedom. But even though everybody claimed she did the right thing, the act was still eating her conscience, torturing her by means of nightmares and flashbacks she couldn’t even control.

Just like what Lamook had quoted, in the end of the day, Richard Troy was still her father.

Seeing the emotions swirled in Lamook’s face, she knew by her gut he’s innocent in the murders. And normally, her guts were right.