Chapter 2 - Polar Moon

Start from the beginning

"We don't even know him. You need to chill," I replied to her.

"He's our mate! He's our other half – he would never hurt us," she whined.

Goddess, she had become so whiny in such a short amount of time!

Deciding to ignore my wolf again and turn my attention back to Elijah, I nodded at him. Poor man, he had been searching for his mate for years, and he ends up with a rogue. At least part of him had to be disappointed.

My lack of communication must have really been making him nervous, because he finally stood up and walked to the other side of the cold, underground room. He flipped on a light switch that was hidden in the corner, and I noticed two large doors. Elijah pulled the doors open, grabbed something, and then made his way back towards me.

In one hand he held a large knit blanket and in the other a small vial. So...this was partly a dungeon and partly a storage area? The Alpha kneeled in front of me again and unfolded the blanket, wrapping it around me before I could object.

"I'll get you some clothes once we get to the pack house. This is medicine. It's kind of like an antidote for silver – it just speeds up our healing time," he told me as he twisted off the lid and held the vial out to me.

I glared at him. Was he trying to drug me?!

He immediately noticed the look I was giving him, and he frowned again. My heart ached just the slightest bit at that frown.

What the hell? What's wrong with me? I meet my mate and suddenly I'm caring how an Alpha feels?

"Please drink it Lena. I want you to get better," Elijah pleaded.

"Drink it!" my wolf hissed at me. Goddess! What a pushy little bitch she had turned into.

I let out a quiet, but agitated sigh as I grabbed the vial from him and poured it down my throat. It tasted of berries.

Elijah smiled at me again, and before I had a chance to react he scooped me up into his arms, wrapped the blanket tightly around my body, and began to carry me towards the staircase.

I growled lowly in my throat. This was not okay! I would not be carried around like a child! Unfortunately, I couldn't do much to protest. The medicine he had given me was already making me feel slightly better, but I was still too weak to fight against this cocooned blanket and his strong Alpha arms.

He shot me a confused look when he heard my growl.

"Please let me take care of you Lena," he pleaded softly as he made his way up the stairs and out of the cellar. He kicked the doors closed behind him and made his way towards the massive pack house.

"You're my mate, and you're hurt because of my men. I just want to care for you and make it up to you," he explained, sounding mildly frantic.

"We're mates, you should know how much you mean to me. You're my world now, little mate."

Part of me wanted to be offended because he kept calling me 'little.' I knew I was short and extremely thin, but I was also strong and independent. I wanted to snap at him to correct him, but somewhere deep inside I decided he wasn't belittling me. Goddess, this mate bond was going to try its damn best to break me down and make me sensitive.

"You don't even know me," I finally whispered in reply.

His face was a jumble of emotions now. I'm sure he was thrilled that I spoke to him again, but I know my response hadn't been one that he was hoping for.

"But I want to," he said, staring into my eyes. "And that doesn't matter nearly as much as this mate bond that we share."

I sighed again. What was I even going to say to him? I'd be lying if I said I couldn't feel the strong tug of our mate bond as well, but I couldn't let him in so easily just because he's my mate! My mind and my heart (and my wolf, of course) were in full-fledged battle with each other.