Chapter 40: Theater Lesbians

"Edie," said Leila softly as they walked off. "Is that a nickname? Short for something?"

Edie nodded shyly. "Edith."

"Edith," she said. "What an elegant, noble name. You don't mind if I use your full name, do you?"

Edie wasn't sure. She had been excited to come to college and escape her old name when Corrie gave her the nickname. Then again, when Leila said "Edith" it sounded nothing like when her family used it; she really did make it sound noble and elegant. And how could she argue with this beautiful, statuesque woman who was flirting so outrageously with her? "That's fine. Uh," she continued, not wanting to let the conversation fade into silence, "Leila isn't short for anything, is it?"

"No," Leila said, smiling down at Edie. Edie realized that Leila was still holding her hand. She decided not to try to let go.

They weren't walking for very long; they'd reached a different part of the incinerator, where a concrete-walled room was still mostly intact, and Leila led her inside, finally dropping her hand so they could both get through the small door. Inside were several other women, mostly dressed in black like Leila. "This is Edith, everyone," Leila announced in her melodious voice.

They greeted her, and Edie was introduced to the others: Donna, who was tall and thin like Leila, but had short, spiky purple hair; Zoila, Donna's girlfriend, who was extremely short and had thick glasses; Chris, who had surprisingly large breasts and a long, full skirt; and Genesis, who had shiny, long blonde hair. It might have just been that Leila was the one paying most attention to her, but Edie thought none of them were as pretty as her. They were all quite friendly, though, and Edie allowed herself to relax slightly. She felt accepted here, in a group of, apparently, all lesbians. Maybe Corrie was right about joining the queer group being a good idea.

"So are you planning to become a theater major, Edith?" asked Chris with a friendly smile.

Embarrassed, Edie shook her head. "I don't know what I'm going to major in. Theater is definitely an option, though. I'm taking Intro to Acting this semester, but I don't know if I have any talent yet."

"Oh, you'll learn," said Zoila with a laugh. "Who's your professor?"

She told them, and the group spent a pleasant several minutes laughing and talking about him; apparently he was popular. They asked Edie who else was in the class, and she learned that several of her classmates were here at the party. They planned to invite a few to the next one, as well, now that they knew they were taking the class. "We kind of take it on ourselves to recruit new theater majors," said Genesis with a laugh. "Of course most people who are theater majors planned it from the beginning, but there are people who would be really good at it but don't consider it for some reason. And it's a great major."

"We won't try to recruit you against your will, though!" said Leila quickly.

"I wasn't worried!" Edie said. In fact, she was becoming more interested in the theater major--partly, to be sure, because it would mean she was frequently surrounded by beautiful women, but also because they were making her think that acting, directing, and even set designing were a lot of fun. "So what shows have you been in lately?"

Most of the plays they listed she hadn't heard of, but when Donna and Chris jumped up and reenacted a scene from The Importance of Being Earnest, Edie laughed so hard there were tears in her eyes. They were obviously pleased by her reaction and they all got into a discussion of Oscar Wilde. Edie hadn't read anything of his, but they didn't seem to mind.

The night stretched on, and Edie became more comfortable and happy with Leila and her friends. It didn't hurt that Leila was still flirting and saying sweet things (not to mention continuing to be very beautiful), and Edie was slowly finding herself able to flirt back. Leila looked absolutely delighted when Edie was startled by a compliment on her hair into saying "But you're so beautiful!"

A little while later, Leila stood gracefully, taking Edie's arm, and announced that she was going to go get more drinks for everyone. "Edith, will you come with me?" Edie could hardly refuse, and they only stayed long enough to get everyone's drink preferences before moving out of the little room into the darker (though still lit) trees.

Edie didn't have much of a sense of direction, but she was still confused when Leila started to walk into the trees--she was pretty sure the place where she'd gotten drinks was in the other direction. At least they were only going north, not east, which would be further into the woods. So she didn't stop, just said, "Isn't this the wrong way?"

Leila did stop with a laugh. "I can't put anything past you, can I? Well, we're really going to get drinks. But I wanted some private time with you first." Her grip was surprisingly strong as she pulled Edie towards her. Edie's mind was all confusion, and her heart was beating so hard that she couldn't hear herself think anyway. Did Leila mean what she thought she meant? The taller woman gave a soft sigh, then, yes, bent down, and, yes, her lips were coming closer. Edie closed her eyes. Leila's lips brushed hers, very softly, but it sent a shiver down Edie's spine. She opened her eyes to see Leila's wide green eyes staring into her own. They both smiled, then Leila kissed her again--more firmly this time--and Edie forgot about drinks, forgot about the other girls, forgot everything except the wonder of being kissed by a beautiful woman.