Chapter 32: An Invitation

Corrie used the time between classes to finish her biology homework--just a few simple questions, thankfully--and repeatedly look hopefully out the window. The sky was getting lighter, and once or twice she thought she saw a space between the clouds, but the rain didn't seem to let up. When it was time to leave, she reluctantly put her galoshes and jacket back on, picked up her umbrella, and made her way outside.

Biology class was unremarkable. She kept an eye on the floor as she entered and exited, since the tiles were slippery with the water and mud everyone had tracked in. But when she reached the doors, she had a welcome surprise: the sky was still cloudy and grey, but there were a few spots where blue shone through, and the rain had stopped. Laughing happily, she closed the snap on her umbrella (which she'd opened in preparation for rain) and ran out into an empty space on the path. She spun around, grinning up at the sky. "Finally!"

"I'm glad you appreciate it," came a familiar voice. Byron walked over to her, smiling.

She stopped spinning to face him. "Aw, did you make the rain stop just for me?"

"Of course," he said with a laugh. "I couldn't have you falling down again."

"What, you didn't like catching me?" she said with exaggerated disappointment.

"What if I wasn't there?" He looked around. "No psycho ex following you today?"

"Not so far." She imitated him, but Paul was nowhere to be seen. "I guess you scared him off for now."

"I think I should still stay with you. To protect you, you know. Want to go get something to eat?"

"As long as you promise to keep me safe." They started to walk toward the dining hall, side by side on the path. They weren't holding hands, but the possibility was there, shimmering in the air.

"So what class do you have in the science building?" he asked as they walked.

"Biology. I just want to get the science requirement over with--I don't expect to ever set foot in that building again after this semester. Assuming I pass the class, of course."

"I'm sure you'll do well."

She snorted. "And how would you know that?"

"Running is good for the brain. Gets the blood flowing."

"I'll have to ask my biology professor about that." She had a feeling he was making it up. "And I know you're a theater major, so what are you doing around the science building?"

"The theater building isn't too far from it. On Tuesday I came over because I saw your ex harassing you, and today I came in hopes of catching you. I did say we'd see each other again."

She was grinning foolishly again at that, and couldn't think of a response. Luckily, they reached the building where the dining hall was a moment later; he grabbed the door before she could reach it and held it open, waving her through.

She preceded him in, and they got their lunches and sat down in a quiet spot; the dining hall wasn't very crowded at this time of day. Corrie didn't like heavy lunches, so she'd gotten a salad with a brownie on the side. Byron grinned when he saw her food. "I see you are a lady of contradictions."

"You better believe it." Corrie glanced at his food; he'd gotten a hamburger laden with onions and tomatoes, a generous scoop of potato chips, and a cola. "How do you eat like that and stay in shape?"

"I run every morning, just like you," he said after quickly swallowing a mouthful of burger. After a moment, he seemed to realize that she wasn't satisfied with that answer, and continued, "Like you said, I'm a theater major. Theater is very physical--especially when you have to do backstage work. They make me do a lot of heavy lifting."

She laughed, satisfied with that answer. "I can see why."

They were quiet for a few minutes, eating their lunches. Then he took a big gulp of soda and said, "Would you like to come to a party with me tomorrow night? They're usually just for theater majors, but nobody will mind if I bring a guest."

"Sure!" Either the theater majors weren't nearly as cliquey as Lorelei had suggested, or Byron thought she was really special. Corrie wasn't sure which she'd rather be true. A combination of both, probably. She grinned at him, then inspiration struck her. "Can my roommate come too?"

He frowned slightly. "Um, I don't know..."

Okay, they probably were pretty cliquey. "She's taking Intro to Acting this semester," Corrie quickly explained.

Byron relaxed. "Oh, that should be all right, then. Leo might even tell his students about the party--he comes to them occasionally."

Leo must be the elfin professor that Naomi and Edie had been talking about. Come to think of it, Corrie wouldn't be surprised to see Naomi at the party, too. She took another bite of her salad, then said, "I am right in assuming that there will be a lot of queer people there, right?"

He grinned again. "It is a theater department. Why do you ask?"

"My roommate--Edie--is a lesbian. I have a diabolical plan to get her to meet some girls."

"Oh, that shouldn't be a problem. Actually, if that's the case, she definitely should come--the theater lesbians can get a little incestuous and I'm sure they'd welcome a new body to their little circle."

"She's kind of naive," Corrie said, suddenly imagining a group of predatory lesbians all trying to seduce Edie. The mental image was patently ridiculous, but that didn't stop her from worrying for Edie's emotional and physical safety. "I don't think she's ever even dated anyone."

"Don't worry, they'll be gentle if that's the case." He stood up, having finished his burger. "I actually have to run to class now, but I'll meet you outside Gilkey around 8 on Friday, if that's okay."

"Sounds great. I'll see you then."