Maybe I Should

It's done - Mary

The only message she sent me as I wake up this morning. I check my alarm clock. 8:30am. Why am I still waking up so early? I don't know what the text message means. Is Mary a vampire? Has she told Cory about me? Where did she go and what did she do. I have so many questions yet today I do not want to see anything. I pull myself out of bed and brush my hair. It calms me. I change out of the clothes I have been wearing for the past week and jump into the shower. The water is hot, almost burning me but in a good way, a good feeling. I let the hot water run over me for a long time before I realise how much water I have wasted. When I jump out of the shower I dry my hair, leaving it down. No makeup. I put on my grey converse trackies and my black singlet, it is not hot outside but also not freezing. I walk down stairs, my bare feet aching with every step signifying how tired I feel, how I don't want to walk. Once I manage to get downstairs, turn the kettle on and make myself a coffee, I sit down again. This time on the couch. No TV on. I turn my phone onto silent and lie there. Lie on my couch, in my house, to calm myself. I hear my doorbell ring and my heart beats into my throat. Is that her? I look through my lounge room window and see Mary standing there. Cory behind her. She looks to happy. Glowing. Perfect. Why? Cory has his hand on the low of her back. So she doesn't run away? I slowly get up. She cannot get in unless I invite her in. I am safe. I  open up the door confidently and put a smile on my face. I look straight at Cory, he lets go of Mary and walks inside, putting his arms around my waste to hug me, to make me feel safe. I feel okay. Safe with him. I am upset but deep down envious of what they now have. I feel left out. The guy I am falling for, immortal. The only friend I have made, immortal. "Hi Mary." I say to her, still holding Cory's hand. She takes a step closer the front door. The closer she gets, the more scared I get. My heart slowly beats in my throat calming after each breathe, she opens her mouth to say something and my heart beats up again. "Hi Tash." She takes a step over the threshold and into my house. "I didn't invite you in." I look at her. "You invited me in the day you met me." She says with a slight smile on her face. It clicked, she has always been a vampire.