Chapter Twelve - Mary

Start from the beginning

The words had come from nowhere; conjured up in the heat of the moment, and completely ridiculous to Mary's ears. Yet, to Mary's complete and utter disbelief, the three men shared a brief, wordless look, before scrambling, limping and staggering out of the room without a backwards glance!

"I did it," whispered Mary incredulously – but before her breathing could return to normal, there came a squeak of a floorboard out in the corridor.

Alert in an instant, Mary wielded the poker once more – only to lower it moments later with a sigh of relief, upon realising it was Lady Helena's coach driver stood before her.

"Is everything alright, milady?" he enquired gruffly. "I saw a band of ruffians leave your room just now; were they causing trouble?"

"They were," replied Mary, slightly irritated that the coachman had not chosen five minutes earlier to make his appearance, "but thankfully neither Lady Helena or I came to any great harm."

The coachman's shoulders sagged with relief.

"Thank heavens!" he cried. "If only I had finished tending to the horses but five minutes sooner!"

Indeed, thought Mary wryly.

"Although," continued the coachman admiringly, "by the sorry state of those men as they passed me on the stair, I'd say you made fine work of them, Miss Thorpe!"

Mary couldn't help it; she felt a large grin spreading itself across her face.

"Thank you," she replied appreciatively. "I am, however, thoroughly exhausted, and poor Lady Helena needs to be brought around – so if you do not mind, I think I shall now retire for the evening."

The coachman grew flushed, apparently only just realising the potential implications of being found alone in a bedchamber with his mistress and her guest.

"Yes, yes – of course," he stuttered, backing hastily towards the door. "My apologies."

And with that he was gone, leaving Mary alone with the still-unconscious Lady Helena as she attempted to process what had just taken place.

***

"They – you – but how?"

During the past half hour, Mary had put her trusty poker to its proper use, stoking up the fire so that the room was filled with a crackling, merry blaze by the time Lady Helena came around. Though a little confused and rather shaken, once she had calmed down a little Lady Helena had been willing to allow Mary to help her change into her night things. The women were now both huddled together on the bed nearest the fire, where Lady Helena had been listening in amazement to the tale of how Mary had banished the thugs.

By the time Mary reached the part where she had wielded the poker and fended off the attackers, Lady Helena's eyes looked as if they were about to bulge out of her head.

"How did you think to do such a clever thing?" Lady Helena was gushing. "You were so incredibly brave! I had not the strength or wits to deter them even slightly; yet within five minutes you had them scarpering!"

Not that Mary was particularly big-headed or boastful, but it did feel nice to receive some praise from Lady Helena, who had so clearly thought herself superior to Mary until now. But what Lady Helena did not yet realise was that being a proper lady was only one skill – there were several others, such as knowing how to defend oneself, which could be just as valuable to learn.

"I am forever indebted to you, Mary," continued Lady Helena shakily. "Thank you, truly – I feel fortunate indeed to have such a skilled and quick-minded companion with me in this wretched place."